Awarded by: University of Birmingham
A career in the rapidly-growing events sector requires managers with robust communication, leadership and managerial skills to create the “wow” factor. This course seeks to develop these employability attributes.
This course will develop your appreciation of events planning, financial management, project management, marketing and risk management, facilitating an effective platform to launch your career.
Managing events is exciting and the potential for graduates is considerable. Opportunities are varied and can lead to careers in sub sectors of the industry such as meetings and exhibitions, sporting events, festivals, wedding planning and incentive travel.
While studying Events Management at UCB you can hear from a wide range of expert industry speakers. Recent speakers include: Tony Rogers - Tony Rogers Conference & Event Services, Colin Sweeney – Chief Executive of the Weston Park Foundation (Home of the V-Fest), Vicki Fennell, Business Development Manager – Saville Audio Visual, Andrew Hendry – Barclaycard Arena, Holly Whitehouse - Big Green Coach Company, Helen Marshall – The Big Organiser and Steve Elliott – Blackberry Productions.
Additionally, the course is dual accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), a recognised professional management body. If you successfully complete the Events Management Foundation Degree or BA (Hons) Degree, you will be eligible for a Level 5 Award in Leadership and Management from the CMI. You also gain CMI membership for the duration of your course which allows you access to a wide range of additional CMI learning resources to further support your studies.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will be studying to enter an industry that is dynamic, exciting, diverse and full of new opportunities.
- You will receive a comprehensive understanding of the sector and the processes involved in creating a successful event.
- You will be given detailed information about events systems, project management and how to oversee a live event.
- You will be taught how to manage large scale events such as conferences, concerts, product launches, festivals and carnivals.
- You will go on residential visits in your first two years of study and visit a European destination in your final year.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
Duration for this course is 4 years full-time (including 1 year work placement)
- Event Business Environment
- Event Design
- Event Studies
- Managing Activities and People
- Planning for Events
- Support Services for Events
- The Events Industry
- Event Hospitality Management
- Events Finance
- Events Marketing
- Live Events Project
- Project Management for Events
- Research Principles
Plus one option from:
- Modern Languages (Upper Intermediate)
- Professional Events Practice
- Stadium and Arena Management
- Social Media in Tourism
- Creative Business Enterprise
- Dynamics of Business Events
- Training and Development Skills for Managers
Optional Work Placement
- Work Placement
- Event Crisis Strategy
- Festivals and Events Tourism
- International Research Project
- Mega Events
- Winning Events Contracts
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
- Strategic Human Resources Management
- Global Marketing Solutions
- Destination Management
- Dark and Thanatourism Management
- Personal Effectiveness and Behavioural Skills
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £2500 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BA (Hons) Events Management
Qualified event graduates are sought after in the industry. Graduates with proven managerial skills, drive and leadership can progress quickly.
Graduates successfully completing this course can pursue careers in:
- Convention and exhibition centres
- Festivals and cultural events
- Sporting events
- Events management companies
- Charity promotion and fundraisers
After graduating from UCB our students have excelled, taking up events positions in such organisation as Blackberry Productions, Amadeus Food , West Bromwich Albion FC, Cheltenham Racecourse, Marketing Birmingham, ROSPA, West Midlands Air Ambulance, Concert Live, Conference Aston and Capita Services.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education sectors with...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Average rating 5Based on 4 reviews
Want to know more about Events Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.