Bakery and Patisserie Technology BSc (Hons) / FdScUniversity College Birmingham
Bakery and Patisserie Technology
This degree course is accredited by University College Birmingham.
There is a proven need for food technologists with specialist bakery and/or patisserie backgrounds in industry. So whether you want to start your own business baking artisan breads, become a chocolatier or patissier, this course will give you the practical skills, technical ability and business knowledge you need to compete with advantage.
The bakery and patisserie industry offers a creative and highly competitive work environment. We have developed this course in consultation with industry experts to provide you with the high level of technical and operational skills needed to succeed at senior management level or as a business entrepreneur.
This course will focus on the technical and managerial skills needed to be successful in the industry, raising awareness of entrepreneurship and providing experience in a broad range of baking and patisserie processes.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will be introduced to the science and technology of bakery and patisserie and understand their nutritional contribution to a balanced diet.
- You will learn about managing a confectionery business for profit by studying areas such as quality assurance and how to start your own enterprise.
- You will participate in creative study skills to help you perform well in the academic aspects of this course.
- You will get the chance to work in our new Food Science and Innovation Suite, which features the latest food testing and diagnostic technology alongside state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
- We have fantastic links with a variety of bakery and confectionery industries, which means a wealth of opportunities for students with regards to guest lecturers, industry research, work placements and visits.
Our baking and product development laboratories include specialist equipment such as large planetary machines, industrial ovens, Spiral and high-speed mixers, chocolate tempering and enrobing equipment, rack and deck ovens and retarder provers. Our Food Science and Innovation Suite will also play a key role in your studies.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Artisan Bread - Production and Appraisal
- Bakery and Confectionery Science
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Specialist Confectionery
- Introduction to Patisserie
- Diet and Nutrition
- Managing for Profit
- Advanced Confectionery and Chocolate
- Contemporary Bread Production
- Contemporary Patisserie
- Food Production Management
- Quality Assurance
- Food Product Design Development
- Enterprise Start-up Studies
- Bakery and Patisserie Ingredient Functionality
- Current Issues in Food and Nutrition
- Food Supply and Sustainability
- Food Technology
- Research Project
- Practical Project
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by the industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
Bakery and Patisserie Technology BSc (Hons) / FdSc
Graduates from this course could progress in the industry to successful careers in artisan bakery, confectionery and chocolate, food technology, new product development, technical management or quality assurance.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Specialist food production
- Bakery or patisserie
- Food production
- Food safety
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education sectors with...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Average rating 5Based on 3 reviews
Want to know more about Bakery and Patisserie Technology BSc (Hons) / FdSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Saint Petersburg, Russia