Aviation Management (Taught)University College Birmingham
The global aviation industry has experienced significant growth in the number of air passengers, reaching 3.6 billion in 2016 (IATA, 2017). Alongside this growth, the industry continues to operate within a rapidly changing environment and faces challenges in sustaining competitiveness and offering effective, safe and efficient passenger experiences.
Accordingly, this has created a demand for managers who possess high-level knowledge and skills to succeed in this exciting industry. This course focuses on passenger aviation operations and management, whilst enabling you to specialise in a range of business/management subject areas. This flexibility means that you may tailor the course to your particular career aspiration within a range of aviation organisations, including airlines, airports, airport authorities, civil aviation departments and aviation consultancies.
This course has been developed with industry professionals and is a recognised Institute of Travel & Tourism Centre of Excellence.The course focuses on enhancing your management potential by developing your critical thinking, leadership, problem-solving, creativity, communication, research and analytical skills to make an immediate impact on an aviation organisation.
During your studies, you will have a number of opportunities to engage with industry experts through our live industry consultancy projects, our visiting speaker programme, our creative dialogue sessions (where you will network and debate contemporary themes), our industry mentor scheme, our industry events, and through our links with professional bodies. The course also offers you an opportunity to undertake an optional placement that you have secured through the support of our employability-focused centre, hired@UCB.
An exciting feature of this course is the ‘international live industry project’, where you will travel to an overseas destination and apply your skills and knowledge to a real industry consultancy context. Previous students have completed projects in the Gambia, the Azores (in Portugal), the Canaries, Cyprus, Madeira and Dubai.
Why should I choose this course?
- UCB is an Institute of Travel & Tourism ‘Centre of Excellence’ and a leading provider of innovative undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a national and international reputation.
- You will network and engage with industry, including having the benefit of a ‘professional mentor’ to offer career guidance and advice throughout the duration of your course.
- We place a strong focus on experiential and action learning to ensure the development of high-level skills and knowledge.
- The ‘international live industry project’ is a fantastic opportunity to travel abroad, gain experience and use the skills you develop on your course in a real industry environment.
- UCB’s well-developed international links are reflected in our thriving international student body, which makes for a diverse and friendly atmosphere.
You will have the opportunity to undertake an optional six-month placement on the successful completion of the taught part of your course. You are required to secure your own placement with the support of our highly experienced hired@UCB team, who have a diverse mix of experience in a wide variety of industries.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Aviation Market Analysis and Forecasting
- Global Dynamic Environment
- International Live Project Management
- Masters Research Project
- Strategic Aviation Management and Operations
Options - choose one (semester 1)
- Business Creation and Development
- Leadership in Decision-making
- Tourism Experience Management
Options - choose one (semester 2)
- Marketing and Digital Media
- Revenue & Performance Analysis
- Risk and Crisis Management
- Postgraduate Work Placement
The Postgraduate Work Placement module provides students with the opportunities to further develop practical skills, relate theory to practice and to gain a sound base of experience. In addition, the module seeks to develop 'life skills' to assist students in progressing towards a career in management. The placement period offers the student the opportunity to experience work in the hospitality industry and to gain academic credit for their learning. It is important therefore that students are given the opportunity to work in an organisation which is both appropriate to their needs and has a professional approach towards training and development. Students' needs and any previous experience are taken into consideration, when introducing them to a suitable employer. The staff in the hired@UCB suite will draw on their extensive experience to ensure that the objectives are met as fully as possible.
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2019/20. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £7000.
English and EU students studying a full Masters (MA/MSc) course (i.e. the full 180 credits) may be eligible for a Postgraduate loan from Student Finance, if you meet the relevant criteria.
- Non-EU - £11,000
MSc Aviation Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the global aviation industry.
Graduating with this MSc will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Airport and airline operations and planning
- Airport and airline business development
- Aviation marketing and digital media
- Aviation consultancy
- Aviation authorities
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service, designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly-refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Aviation Management (Taught)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.