Aviation and Airport Management
This degree course is awarded by the University of Birmingham.
Airlines welcomed 4.3 billion passengers in 2018 – up from 3.8 billion passengers in previous years, according to the International Air Transport Association. The 14% increase will see more than 540 million new passengers travelling on both domestic and international routes.
Global connectivity is seen as a key factor in the economic competitiveness of a country, with both business and leisure tourism offering a range of economic opportunities. Global cities, 'mega-regions' and emerging destinations are experiencing phenomenal growth in aviation development. Within the UK, Birmingham is at the heart of a £110 billion regional economy, with plans to significantly develop the role of Birmingham Airport within the region.
Our Aviation and Airport Management course has been developed in response to these trends, working with global aviation ground operations specialist Swissport to meet the demand for appropriately trained personnel.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will be introduced to the global aviation environment, the value and scale of the aviation industry and its contribution to national economies.
- In association with our industry links, you will work on real aviation projects, with an emphasis on problem-solving, decision-making and project management.
- Visits to airports will be embedded into your study, giving you first-hand experience of how major airports in Europe function and the ability to put academic theory into practice.
- The University will help you look for summer work experience within the industry during the summer months to boost your experience.
- You will choose an area of the aviation industry that interests you for your research project, which will increase your independent learning skills and future employment options.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module
UCB encourages you to seek industry experience throughout your studies. To complement the industry projects you will undertake, we work with the aviation and aviation-related providers to offer a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary) during the summer months.
For management positions, you will need to obtain experience within a range of aviation functions including customer service, admin roles (which supports students with communication skills and data analysis as well as providing students with more knowledge of the context of aviation) and working in teams.
Please note: Security clearances in aviation are outside the control of UCB. The basic criteria for security clearance is verification of the following four elements:
- Employment history (past five years)
- Nationality and Immigration Status
- Criminal record (unspent convictions only)
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the hospitality sector in the UK and internationally. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a paid placement that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Aviation Market Analysis and Forecasting
- Global Dynamic Environment
- International Live Project Management
- Masters Research Project
- Strategic Aviation Management and Operations
Options - choose one (semester 1)
- Business Creation and Development
- Leadership in Decision-making
- Tourism Experience Management
Options - choose one (semester 2)
- Marketing and Digital Media
- Revenue & Performance Analysis
- Risk and Crisis Management
- Postgraduate Work Placement
The Postgraduate Work Placement module provides students with the opportunities to further develop practical skills, relate theory to practice and to gain a sound base of experience. In addition, the module seeks to develop 'life skills' to assist students in progressing towards a career in management. The placement period offers the student the opportunity to experience work in the hospitality industry and to gain academic credit for their learning. It is important therefore that students are given the opportunity to work in an organisation which is both appropriate to their needs and has a professional approach towards training and development. Students' needs and any previous experience are taken into consideration, when introducing them to a suitable employer. The staff in the hired@UCB suite will draw on their extensive experience to ensure that the objectives are met as fully as possible.
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
- UK/EU - £7000.
English and EU students studying a full Masters (MA/MSc) course (i.e. the full 180 credits) may be eligible for a Postgraduate loan from Student Finance, if you meet the relevant criteria.
- Non-EU - £12,500
MSc Aviation Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the global aviation industry.
Graduating with this MSc will enable you to pursue a career path in:
- Airport and airline operations and planning
- Airport and airline business development
- Aviation marketing and digital media
- Aviation consultancy
- Aviation authorities
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service, designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, in newly-refurbished facilities, the hired team comprises of specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships, apprenticeships and traineeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education sectors with...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Want to know more about Aviation Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
15,980 EUR-15,990 EUR
Chicago, United States of America