Aviation and Airport ManagementUniversity College Birmingham
This degree course is awarded by the University of Birmingham.
Airlines welcomed 4.3 billion passengers in 2018 – up from 3.8 billion passengers in previous years, according to the International Air Transport Association. The 14% increase will see more than 540 million new passengers travelling on both domestic and international routes.
Global connectivity is seen as a key factor in the economic competitiveness of a country, with both business and leisure tourism offering a range of economic opportunities. Global cities, 'mega-regions' and emerging destinations are experiencing phenomenal growth in aviation development. Within the UK, Birmingham is at the heart of a £110 billion regional economy, with plans to significantly develop the role of Birmingham Airport within the region.
Our Aviation and Airport Management course has been developed in response to these trends, working with global aviation ground operations specialist Swissport to meet the demand for appropriately trained personnel.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will be introduced to the global aviation environment, the value and scale of the aviation industry and its contribution to national economies.
- In association with our industry links, you will work on real aviation projects, with an emphasis on problem-solving, decision-making and project management.
- Visits to airports will be embedded into your study, giving you first-hand experience of how major airports in Europe function and the ability to put academic theory into practice.
- The University will help you look for summer work experience within the industry during the summer months to boost your experience.
- You will choose an area of the aviation industry that interests you for your research project, which will increase your independent learning skills and future employment options.
- Give yourself the employment edge and learn a language as an optional module
UCB encourages you to seek industry experience throughout your studies. To complement the industry projects you will undertake, we work with the aviation and aviation-related providers to offer a variety of opportunities (paid and voluntary) during the summer months.
For management positions, you will need to obtain experience within a range of aviation functions including customer service, admin roles (which supports students with communication skills and data analysis as well as providing students with more knowledge of the context of aviation) and working in teams.
Please note: Security clearances in aviation are outside the control of UCB. The basic criteria for security clearance is verification of the following four elements:
- Employment history (past five years)
- Nationality and Immigration Status
- Criminal record (unspent convictions only)
Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the hospitality sector in the UK and internationally. Our hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a paid placement that gives you the relevant experience to support your future career plans.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Aviation Business and Regulatory Environment
- Aviation Passenger Operations
- Aviation Professional Practice
- Airline Crew Resource Management
- Travel Geography
- Travel and Tourism Marketing
- Airport Planning
- Aviation Operations Management
- Aviation Pricing and Revenue Management
- Managing Human Factors in Aviation
- Aviation Investigations
Plus one option from:
- Events Planning
- Social Media in Aviation and Tourism
- Tourism Operations Management
- Tourism Marketing Management
- Sustainable Aviation Management
- Voluntary Initiative
- Modern Language (Upper Intermediate)
- Aviation Crisis Management
- Contemporary Aviation Issues
- Strategic Aviation Management
Plus one option from:
- Financial Strategy
- Destination Management
- International Marketing
- Organisational Learning in Tourism
- Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
In the final year students will have the option of choosing one of the following research modules:
- Research Project
- Enterprise and Innovation Showcase
- UK/EU - £9,250. If you are an English or EU student studying your first higher education qualification, you can apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company. You will not start repaying this loan until you leave the course and are earning over £25,000 a year.
- Non-EU - £10,300
BA (Hons) Aviation and Airport Management
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to move into a wide variety of areas within the industry, including working for international airlines, aviation agencies, in-flight catering companies and international cargo organisations.
Graduating with this degree will enable you to pursue a career in:
- Airport ground handling
- General aviation operations
- Airline management
- Airport administration
- Corporate aviation management
UCB hosts tourism and travel events as part of student enrichment and to promote industry awareness. The University is proud to be an Institute of Travel & Tourism (ITT) Centre of Excellence and staged the ITT Future You On The Road conference in February 2016.
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
- Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
Find out more about hired@UCB services.
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education...
Want to know more about Aviation and Airport Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe!
Planning on studying a
Master's degree in Europe?
Find your perfect career!