Aesthetic Practitioner BA (Hons) / FdAUniversity College Birmingham
Aesthetic Practitioner BA (Hons) / FdA
All available course dates
This degree course is accredited by University College Birmingham.
With the number of non-surgical and non-invasive aesthetic treatments happening in the UK increasing year on year, the demand for qualified practitioners is at an all-time high.
This course enables you to study this rapidly expanding sector and practice a range of non-medical procedures within the fields of cosmetology, hair removal and skin rejuvenation, developing knowledge and skills in advanced electrical face and body technologies.
In response to industry demand and using the very latest equipment, procedures you will master include laser treatments, intense pulsed light, chemical peeling and skin needling.
Open to therapists and non-therapists alike, the course is, most importantly, a gateway into a variety of reputable and lucrative careers. These include laser practitioner, cosmeceutical skincare specialist, treatment or training coordinator, business development manager in aesthetic devices, patient treatment coordinator and clinic director.
Demonstrating best in practice and providing reassurance to students and clients alike, UCB adheres to Joint Council for Cosmetic Practitioners (JCCP) and Cosmetic Practice Standards Authority (CPSA) guidelines.
Why should I choose this course?
- You will have the chance to enter a rapidly expanding, highly profitable industry with a huge number of potential career options. Not only that, your hands-on training in a clinical environment will put you at a significant advantage over non-graduates.
- You will gain the practical experience and skills you need to perform non-surgical and non-invasive procedures using the latest highly-specialised equipment, from cryotherapy machines (fat freezing) to high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) and a range of other face and body technologies.
- Qualified and highly experienced lecturers will ensure you are fully supported throughout the duration of your course, with full supervision in practical sessions in the clinic and lectures covering every element of aesthetic practice.
- Learning in a variety of different settings will enable you to put theory into practice and network with future clients and employers.
- You will be fully supported in finding relevant work placements complementing your studies, giving you both transferable professional skills and hands-on experience of the industry.
The Aesthetic Clinic
Our teaching facilities are state-of-the-art and feature the latest clinic equipment, cosmeceutical product ranges and treatments from top brands including Lynton Lasers, Dermaquest, Environ and Mesoestetics. The Aesthetic Clinic at UCB offers:
- A clinical environment minimising and reducing the risk of infection transmission using the latest ultrasonic cleaning technology and UV technology
- A clinically-controlled laser room
- State-of-the-art equipment – Observe 520, 3d Skin Tech, Carlton ThermaVisage
As part of our course, UCB students gain valuable work experience through a work placement. This is a great opportunity to put what you have learnt into practice working alongside qualified professionals. Over the years, we have developed close working relationships throughout the beauty industry and continue to develop fantastic links with the aesthetics industry. The hired@UCB team will assist you in finding a placement to reflect your particular area of interest.
All new students studying a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE course, paying fees at the maximum rate (£9,250), and with a student status of Home, EU or Channel Isles are eligible to receive £300 per year via the Kick-Start Scheme. To find out more about how these funds can support your studies and your future career, and to find out if you are eligible for an additional £500 per year, visit Kick-Start FAQs.
Our open days are designed to give you as much information as possible about UCB and the areas you are interested in studying. Come along and we may make you an offer on the day.
- Academic Skills
- Physiology of Ageing
- Chemical Peels and Needling
- Aesthetic Technologies in Hair Removal and Skin Rejuvenation
- The Aesthetic Consultation
Plus one pathway module from the below:
- Electrotherapy in Aesthetic Practice
- Non-Invasive Aesthetic Procedures
- Aesthetic Business Operations
- Work Based Practice in Aesthetics
- Science of Skincare
- Clinical Aesthetic Procedures
- Advancements in Technologies
- Critical Approach to Research Methods in Aesthetic Practice
- Aesthetic Identity
- Internal Aesthetics
- Research Project
- Applied Aesthetic Practice
The modules listed on the website for this course are regularly reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and informed by industry as well as the latest teaching methods. Unless otherwise stated, the modules listed above for this course are for students starting in the academic year 2020/21. On occasion, we may need to make unexpected changes to modules and if this occurs, we will contact all offer holders as soon as possible.
Aesthetic Practitioner BA (Hons) / FdA
Ideal for anyone looking to take advantage of the ever-increasing popularity of age management and aesthetic procedures, this course is an ideal stepping stone towards a reputable, lucrative career in a flourishing industry.
It will not only give you the most up-to-date knowledge base, but also the practical skills to allow you to carry out procedures and treatments in a real-life setting.
You would also be well equipped to work in a sales or training role within the cosmeceutical industry as a result of this degree.
Specific roles you could explore after graduating include:
- Aesthetic Practitioner
- Laser practitioner
- Cosmeceutical skincare specialist
- Treatment or training coordinator
- Business development manager – aesthetic devices
- Patient treatment coordinator
- Clinic director
hired@UCB is our student and alumni support service designed to provide a single reference point for information, advice and guidance regarding opportunities to develop and demonstrate employability and enterprise skills.
Based on the 7th floor of our Summer Row campus, the hired@UCB team comprises specialist and qualified staff with knowledge and experience of:
Careers advice and guidance
- Placements, work experience and volunteering
- Employer engagement
- Part-time and seasonal work
- Internships and apprenticeships
- Graduate schemes and alumni support
- Unitemps – UCB's recruitment agency
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s biggest regional city, University College Birmingham (UCB) is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. UCB specialises in vocational courses in both the Higher Education and Further Education sectors with...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Want to know more about Aesthetic Practitioner BA (Hons) / FdA? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...