Access to Higher Education Diploma (Social Science and Health)
Are you looking to return to study or change career but finding you dont yet meet the entry requirements for higher education courses? Our Access to Higher Education Diploma is a highly-recognised Level 3 qualification (equivalent to A-Levels) that can help you take the next step into a career in Nursing or a wide range of careers within the health sector.
This Access to HE Diploma combines building your learning skills - e.g. academic writing skills and study techniques - with a foundation of subjects related to social science and health, including psychology, social influence, anatomy, disease, nutrition and cell biology.
Our course is specifically designed for:
- Students with a current or previous role in care (e.g. health assistant, care assistant, care worker)
- Students who have not benefited from previous educational experience due to their individual circumstances
- Learners seeking a change of direction or a career boost, and who can demonstrate their interest in entering a profession related to health and social care
- Anyone who wants to return to study having been out of education for a long time
Entry requirements - September 2021
Our Access to Higher Education Diploma course has been designed for students who have not had the opportunity to access higher education.
- Applicants must have at least three years life experience outside of formal education gained since completing formal education. Experience does not need to be in a subject-related field.
- Academic Requirements:
- GCSE English Language or Maths at grade 4 (grade C) or Functional Skills Level 2.
- A minimum of Grade 3 or Functional Skills Level 1 is required in the subject where grade 4 or equivalent has not been achieved
- Achieve a Level 2 in Numeracy and Literacy initial assessments. These assessments will take place on campus for candidates who have been successful at interview.
- Supporting Documents Required:
- Applicants will also be required to submit a reference from a previous or current employment role.
- Guaranteed progression option:
- Students who achieve 112 UCAS points from this qualification will be automatically guaranteed an interview for Nursing (Adult) BSc (Hons) at University College Birmingham.
Entry requirements - January 2022
Note: Entry requirements for January differ from September due to a shorter academic period and intensity of the course. In addition, many undergraduate courses require applicants to have achieved GCSE Maths and English (or Functional Skills Level 2) at the point of application.
There may be the opportunity to study GCSE English Language/maths alongside the course as part of your studies.
For applicants who need to retake their maths and English alongside studying the Access to HE Diploma, please note that we cannot guarantee these lectures will fall between 10am and 3pm.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Topics you will study:
Social science academic subjects
- Introduction to psychology
- Social influence
- Abnormal psychology
- Introduction to sociology
- Sociology of health
Health academic subjects
- Human disease and prevention
- Human nutrition and the digestive system
- Human reproduction, growth and development
- Respiration and circulation
- Cell biology
Skills for Learning
- Progression to higher education
- Preparing for a higher education admission interview
- Academic writing skills and study techniques
Teaching and assessment
Learning will be assessed in a variety of methods to prepare you for study at university - these may include essays, report writing, online assessment and presentations.
In order to successfully complete the Access to Higher Education Diploma (Social Science and Health), you must achieve a total of 60 credits (including social science academic subjects, health academic subjects and Skills for Learning).
You must achieve 60 credits at Level 3. 45 are Graded Credits in Academic Modules at Pass, Merit or Distinction, and 15 are Ungraded Credits in Skills for Learning.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Course Duration : 1 year (3-4 days per week)
- Course Start : September (2021)
- Credits : 60 credits
Course fee is £3,022
Completing the diploma will open the door for you to enter higher education study in related fields, such as nursing and midwifery, paramedic practice, public health, childhood studies. education, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, social work or psychology.
This course is designed to enable your progression onto higher education. Depending on entry requirements, you could continue onto a degree at University College Birmingham, such as Nursing, Physiotherapy, Early Childhood Studies (Graduate Practitioner) and Health and Social Care.
With further study, possible future career options open to you include:
- Paramedic - Average Salary: £25,794
- Adult nurse - Average Salary: £33,834
- Social worker - Average Salary: £29,624
- Learning disability nurse - Average Salary: £24,905
- Midwife - Average Salary: £28,803
- Mental health nurse - Average Salary: £24,907
About this institute
University College of Birmingham
Based in the heart of the UK’s second-biggest city, University College Birmingham is a specialist university which is highly respected by employers and industry for providing career-focused education and training. Most of our undergraduate and postgraduate degrees are accredited by the University of Birmingham,...
Why study at University College Birmingham
Why Choose Us?
Your choice of college or university will play an important part in shaping your career and fulfilling your ambitions.
It’s crucial you pick a place that feels right for you – and where you will be happy. It needs to be a university that will help you achieve your goals; a place you can trust.
So why choose University College Birmingham? Where shall we begin…?
The first thing you need to know is that UCB is a compact, specialist institution in the heart of England’s biggest regional city. Birmingham has the buzz of a major city without the inflated London price tag.
The University is big on vocational courses – the majority of which are accredited by the University of Birmingham – and big on linking academic theory to modern workplace skills. It’s also big on you. Our size and teaching philosophy means the focus is on each individual student. At University College Birmingham, you will never be a face in the crowd.
Want to know more about Access to Higher Education Diploma (Social Science and Health)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Graduate diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate
Graduate diploma / certificate
St Andrews, Scotland
Belfast, Northern Ireland