About this program
Specializing Master Middle Eastern Studies
Students are guided across this diverse and fascinating region, which, since decades, is at the center of the geostrategic interest of the international system. The program mainly focuses on the contemporary period, through a multi-disciplinary approach ranging over international relations, geopolitics, conflicts and security, economy and energy. Nonetheless, specific sections are devoted to the analysis of the historical and religious foundations of the modern Middle East, from the birth of Islam to the evolution of Islamic thought, law and economy. A dedicated course will offer a linguistic analysis of the political and juridical terminology and a glossary in Arabic. MIMES analyses in details infra-regions and inter-regions peculiarities and relations, from Maghreb to Central-Southern Asia, encouraging a comparative and holistic area studies approach.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English or that have not completed a programme taught entirely in English, are required to provide evidence of a B2 level of English proficiency; either via a certificate (TOEFL/iBT, Academic IELTS) or via a Skype interview with the Master committee.
General entry requirements
- Completion of at least an undergraduate degree, obtained after a minumum of 3 years of study (180 ECTS):
- EU citizens: The undergraduate degree must be obtained before the start of the programme.
- Non-EU citizens: The undergraduate degree must be obtained at least two months prior to the start of the programme.
- Università Cattolica will evaluate candidates’ academic and personal background and decide if they meet the specific conditions for admission to the chosen graduate programme.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
1st Level. Propaedeutic Phase: history, power and institution: the conceptual foundation of the Middle East
- Methodological introduction: debates on the Middle East
- History of the Middle East
- Religion, society and thought in the Islamic Middle East
- Islamic law and economy
- Study of political and juridical terminology - glossary in Arabic
- Middle East within the 20th century international order
2nd Level. In-depth Analytical Phase: sub-regional contexts
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- South-West Asia and the Gulf
- Central-Southern Asia
3rd Level. Thematic and Contemporary Issues
- Politics in contemporary Middle East and the current International Relations context
- Global security: jihadism, violent activism, conflicts and nuclear proliferation
- Post-conflict Institution-building and human security
- Gender, ethno-religious diversity and pluralism in the Middle East
- Energy and the geopolitics of resources
- Contemporary economic trends
4th level. Project Work
Students are required to develop a personal research project on an issue related to Middle Eastern affairs, under the supervision of a MIMES professor. It is suggested to connect the project work to the internship experience.
5th level. Internship (or Arabic/Persian/Turkish Language Course)
The Master's program is completed with an internship within an institutions whose mission and activities are consistent with the Master's program. This gives students the invaluable opportunity to test and strengthen the competencies acquired during the Master and it usually lasts three months. As an alternative, students who do not carry out an internship may choose to attend a certified Arabic, Persian or Turkish language and culture course. In any case, the course will have to be positively evaluated by the Master's Direction (additional fee depending on the organizing institution may occur).
Scholarships & funding
- Number of scholarships available: 6
- Scholarship value: 25%
Tuition fees: €7,500
Total ECTS: 60
MIMES provides graduate students with a detailed, comprehensive knowledge of the wider Middle East, beneficial to undertake a number of different careers, consistently with their previous training and experience, within:
- International Institutions
- Private Companies
- Research Centers and Area Studies
- Media Networks
- Diplomacy related institutions
- Regulatory bodies
Message the school
About this institute
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Università Cattolica students and alumni feel fortunate to be part of the largest private university in Europe, characterised by a strong commitment to providing dedicated services to students and by its recognised academic quality.Studying at Cattolica means studying in an...
Why study at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Largest private university in Europe
Historical University with 100 years of history, largest private university in Europe for number of enrolled students. True international experience, more than 150 different nationalities represented in amazing destinations such as Milan, Rome, Brescia, Cremona and Piacenza.
Internationally recognized quality teaching
Multidisciplinary university with 12 different Schools, 40+ English taught programmes at all study levels in several different study fields. 13 of our academic disciplines are listed in the top 300, QS Global Rankings by Subject (2021).
Exceptionally strong ties with the industry
Exposure and connections to relevant employers of the highest prestige: industrial ties with the most globally renowned companies, allowing networking and internship opportunities. With an exceptional graduate placement rate after studying, we rank number 1 in the country for Employer-Student Connections, QS Graduate Employability Rankings (2020).
Want to know more about Specializing Master Middle Eastern Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
St Andrews, Scotland
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Amherst, United States of America