About this program
MSc Statistical and Actuarial Sciences
- Strong knowledge of statistical methodology and its applications in the field of economics, economic-management, finance, demography, sociology, insurance and social security
- Deep knowledge of mathematical models, specifically probability models to apply to finance and actuarial phenomena as well as economic and corporate sciences
- Deep knowledge of quantitative models in the area of risk management
- Mastery of logic, conceptual and methodological tools for planning and executing research for the analysis and evaluation of complex systems linked to economies, production, markets, insurance problems and the environmental, with a specific reference to the occurrence of damaging events
- Corresponding ability to build models that explain and foresee phenomena being studied and establish their applicability and validity with data analysis, and therefore a highly qualifying operating ability in the field of quantitative analysis of economic, corporate, socio-demographic and financial problems related to social security and insurance.
Programme-specific entry requirements
The degree and related studies undertook so far need to be in a subject which is relevant to the programme. Familiarity with statistics/mathematics at degree level is essential.
Prospective students are required to have attended two courses in Statistics (12 ECTS) and two courses in Mathematics (14 ECTS) during their undergraduate studies; additionally, students should have a basic knowledge in at least one of the following broad subject areas: Economics, Business economics/Management, Finance, Computer science, Actuarial science* (26 ECTS).
This will be verified through the transcript of records, hence it is required that students who have not yet graduated send a copy of the official transcripts comprehensive of the subjects they still have to take.
The academic board will evaluate candidates’ academic and personal background and decide if they meet the specific conditions for admission.
Students who need to strengthen their knowledge in Actuarial mathematics, Risk theory and Advanced mathematics might be required to attend a dedicated course at the beginning of the program (in the study plan, this will substitute the elective course).
English language proficiency requirements
Candidates need to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement in order to submit their application.
- Academic IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL iBT: 84
- Cambridge English: First, Advanced, Proficiency: 173
- Cambridge English: Business Vantage, Business: 173
General entry requirements
The entry requirements are based on the latest guidelines for admission published by the Italian Ministry for Education.
Eligible candidates need to hold a valid high school diploma.
Eligible candidates need to hold an undergraduate degree obtained after a minimum of 3 years of study (180 ECTS), which satisfies the requirements for access to second-level academic studies in the awarding country. If candidates have undertaken less than 15 years of total schooling, they may not be eligible for admission to a Laurea Magistrale.
The degree has to be issued by a higher education institution which is regularly accredited or recognized in the awarding country.
The undergraduate degree must be obtained before 31 July 2021.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Accounting and management in insurance
- Actuarial life insurance
- Advanced calculus and stochastic processes
- Data analysis for insurance
- Economic statistics
- Insurance law and regulation
- Quantitative methods for finance
- Actuarial non-life insurance
- Actuarial social security and pension funds
- Economics for finance
- Elective courses
- Foreign language (French, Spanish, German or Italian for foreign students)
- Insurance statistics and advanced risk theory
Elective courses list
- Economic and Business area
Derivative securities pricing
- Legal area
EU risk governance regulation
- Statistical area
Derivative securities pricing
EU risk governance regulation
- Applied mathematical area
Actuarial and financial modelling for solvency II
Introduction to Actuarial mathematics and Risk theory
Quantitative risk management
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Tuition fees for 2021/2022:
- Minimum fees for EU students: €3,600 (for lower family incomes and cheaper courses) per year
- Maximum fees for EU students: €9,300 (for higher family incomes and more expensive courses) per year
- Non-EU students: €8,690
- Degree awarded: Laurea magistrale in Statistical and actuarial sciences
- Total ECTS: 120
Graduates will gain methodological knowledge and tools also at an interdisciplinary level that will enable them to fill jobs at high professional levels both in private companies and state or local public institutions; that is to say, in medium and large businesses, banks, insurance companies and welfare institutions. They will carry out analysis and management of human resources, production, and quality. They will analyze and evaluate markets and socio-economic and environmental scenarios and run a statistical analysis of complex phenomena.
Specifically the degree in Statistical and Actuarial Sciences prepares for Actuary and Risk Manager.
Message the school
About this institute
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Università Cattolica students and alumni feel fortunate to be part of the largest private university in Europe, characterised by a strong commitment to providing dedicated services to students and by its recognised academic quality.Studying at Cattolica means studying in an...
Why study at Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Largest private university in Europe
Historical University with 100 years of history, largest private university in Europe for number of enrolled students. True international experience, more than 150 different nationalities represented in amazing destinations such as Milan, Rome, Brescia, Cremona and Piacenza.
Internationally recognized quality teaching
Multidisciplinary university with 12 different Schools, 40+ English taught programmes at all study levels in several different study fields. 13 of our academic disciplines are listed in the top 300, QS Global Rankings by Subject (2021).
Exceptionally strong ties with the industry
Exposure and connections to relevant employers of the highest prestige: industrial ties with the most globally renowned companies, allowing networking and internship opportunities. With an exceptional graduate placement rate after studying, we rank number 1 in the country for Employer-Student Connections, QS Graduate Employability Rankings (2020).
Want to know more about MSc Statistical and Actuarial Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!