About this program
Master's Degree in Pure and Applied Logic
The master's degree in Pure and Applied Logic is designed to provide advanced training in logic, in both its pure and applied forms. Successful students will have to chance to take their first steps in research in the principal areas of logic, pursue further studies, or move into professional careers.
This degree is offered jointly by the University of Barcelona (UB) and the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC). The UB is the coordinating university. The following departments contribute to the teaching of this course:
- Department of Computer Science (UPC)
- Department of Philosophy(UB)
- Department of Mathematics (UPC)
- Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (UB)
The above departments are attached to the Faculty of Philosophy and the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Barcelona, and to the School of Mathematics and Statistics and the Barcelona School of Informatics at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia.
The course is taught by the largest group of logic experts in Spain, who form one of the most significant bodies of specialists in the whole of Europe. All of the teaching staff are actively involved in research and are internationally recognized experts in their fields, which include computational complexity, the logical foundations of artificial intelligence, the history of logic, algebraic logic, non-classical logic, set theory, proof theory and model theory.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarship, please visit the university website.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
The master's degree in Pure and Applied Logic provides advanced training in both of these areas of logic. Graduates will be qualified to begin research in the field of logic, especially in the particular areas of specialization covered by the departments involved in the teaching of the program.
As well as careers associated with research, the course prepares graduates for a variety of other opportunities, similar to those available to graduates in mathematics or IT, given the high level of training in analysis and problem solving.
The master's degree in Pure and Applied Logic is the only course of its type in Catalonia and the only master's degree devoted exclusively to logic at any university in Spain or southern Europe.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!