Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Education in the Arts
The university master's degree in Interdisciplinary Education of the Arts focuses on the study of − and analytical experimentation with − forms of artistic expression, cultural products and activities linking two or more artistic disciplines that are normally addressed separately in school curricula and initial teacher training. The aim is to highlight the importance of interdisciplinarity in contemporary culture and its relevance to educational innovation.
The principle objective of the course is to provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to conduct detailed examinations of the artistic endeavours, forms of expression and artistic products found in contemporary society, with a view to carrying out effective professional work as cultural mediators.
The course also provides suitable training to holders of teaching and education degrees or related studies who wish to improve their teaching skills in the areas of artistic expression and communication, providing access to doctoral programs in these fields.
The master's degree in Interdisciplinary Education of the Arts is taught by the Faculty of Education but is not intended solely for future teachers and educators; it is also suitable for students with previous qualifications in arts disciplines, including philology, fine arts, humanities, audio-visual communication and music sciences.
The program is also available in Catalan.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This master's degree marks a shift towards a new perspective on integration, examining different forms of cultural expression in depth, particularly those created for children and young people. The specific objectives are:
- To look more closely at the theoretical and practical aspects of the relationship between visual, musical and literary languages.
- To examine the use of methodological, conceptual and research models in art that can be applied to the analysis of educational practice.
- To look more closely at specific curricular and didactic possibilities facilitated by forms of artistic expression.
- To examine the criteria for assessing the characteristics and potential of cultural offerings for children and young people.
- To give students a level of professional competence that facilitates the effective planning of school and out-of-school artistic and cultural activities.
- To impart the educational skills that students will need to work effectively in the initiatives and activities of cultural institutions and organizations.
- To build on the students' basic training in communication and artistic expression.
- To illustrate the significant relationship between the degree content and cultural-social demand.
- To serve as an introduction to research in the arts, based on a paradigm of cultural and educational interdisciplinarity.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
Students will learn to conduct basic research and to pursue their own areas of interest, in preparation for doctoral studies.
The university master's degree in Interdisciplinary Education in the Arts provides invaluable training to students with a background in art and the humanities rather than education and teaching, in preparation for educational activities in cultural institutions (museums, local councils, private institutions, etc.) or for research in education and the many forms of artistic expression.
The course also aims to meet the training requirements of cultural organizations and institutions (for example, to training prospective monitors of educational activities for museums, educators working in the media, editorial consultants, etc.) and schools (for example, coordinators of cultural activities and events, coordinators of art projects, teaching staff involved in library management, etc.).
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Los Angeles, United States of America