Master's Degree in Genetics and Genomics
Today, genomics is essential to understand human diseases, plant and animal development, the evolution of species and their relationships with the environment. The aim of this master's degree is to train new professionals and researchers in genomics and genetics, and prepare them in specific areas of science and technology to face current challenges in these disciplines. The master's degree is focused on basic and applied research, genetics, evolution, development and biomedicine, in the broadest sense, and provides the training required to access third-cycle studies. It prepares students for professional practice in the new technologies of genetic analysis and genomics in particular. As a result, graduates will have opportunities as highly qualified staff in companies and institutions in which these types of analysis are increasing relevant, including hospitals, diagnostic centres, and analysis and genotyping companies.
The teaching staff responsible for this master's degree have considerable research experience in the fields of genetics and genomics and, in most cases, lead groups that are at the forefront of research in these fields. Consequently, students receive up-to-date, in-depth training based on the latest genomics and genetics knowledge. In addition, researchers from the National Centre for Genome Analysis (CNAG) participate in the master's degree. The CNAG is an international leader in genomics studies.
The University of Barcelona is the only Spanish university to offer this master's degree. The aim is to provide an up-to-date overview of the structure, function, regulation and evolution of genes and genomes applied to different fields of biology, such as embryo development and stem cells, human diseases and molecular evolution.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Human genome sequencing represents one of the greatest scientific achievements of the early twenty-first century. This master's degree is intended to train new professionals in genetics and genomics who are prepared technologically and scientifically with the latest advances in these scientific disciplines. These new professionals will need to incorporate and innovate basic and applied research in genetics, evolution, development and biomedicine.
Training in the new technologies of genetic analysis will also enable participants to work as highly qualified technicians in companies and institutions where genetic analysis plays an increasingly important role, such as hospitals, diagnostic centres and companies providing genetic analysis.
This is the only master's degree of its type offered at any Spanish university and is intended to provide a general understanding of the structure, function, regulation and evolution of genes and genomes applicable to different areas of study, including embryonic development, the principal types of human disease and molecular evolution.
MGG graduates trained in fundamental and disease-oriented aspects of biomedical genetics, developmental genetics and genome analysis are in great demand. They will find their way to:
- Academic research
- Research institutes with focus on biosciences
- Diagnostic centers
- Biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry, private companies and spin-offs
- Policy-making organizations in science and health care
Some of the assets included in the MGG that are currently of high interest in the job market are:
- Genetic diagnosis
- Genome analysis
- Forensic genetics
- Developmental biology and diseases
- Stem cell and organoid research
- Drug screening
- Gene therapy development
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...