Master's Degree in Food Research, Development and Innovation
In this master's degree, students will develop the ability to analyse the various processes involved in research, development and innovation activities in the food industry.
There is a need for specialists in research, development and innovation who can develop new ideas, form part of multidisciplinary teams and adapt to the continuous changes taking place in the field of food and nutrition.
In Spain, the agrifood sector accounts for 16% of net sales. Furthermore, sales of some innovative foods are increasing at a much greater rate than conventional foods. An analysis of market prospects and of the potential success of a product demonstrates that it is essential to work simultaneously with an integrated approach in areas as diverse as consumer sciences, marketing techniques, nutrition, health and technology, among others. It has also been found that products with various innovative features are more profitable in the short- and long-term. In addition, it is increasingly important for innovation to integrate a concern for psychosocial considerations, in other words, it is crucial to consider the added value that consumers can immediately appreciate (for example, environmental aspects and ease of use). Therefore, the approach to research, development and innovation in the food industry should be focused on the interaction between all of the factors that influence a consumer's perception and acceptance of a product.
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish 98%; English 2%.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Experimental Design
- Design and Formulation of New Foods
- Bioactive Components: Functional Ingredients and Foods
- New Technologies in Food Processing and Preservation
- Economic Management of Production, Marketing Strategies and Project Management
- Information and Documentation: Legal Regulation and Intellectual and Industrial Property
- Final project
- Sensory Analysis of Foods
- Interpersonal Communication and Conflict Resolution
- Eco-Innovation in Food
- Marketing and Communication Strategies in the Food and Nutrition Sectors
- Sources of Information for Scientific Research in Food Technology
- Nutritional Genomics: New Tools in Food Development
- Microorganisms and Food Safety
- Nutrition and Health: Research, Development and Innovation Applied to Health Care
- In-company placement
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
This master's degree is designed to meet the increasing need for qualified specialists in research, development and innovation activities in the field of food and nutrition. The course seeks to train specialists who can join multidisciplinary teams working in research, development and innovation, both in the food industry and in other professional areas (universities and other research centres, administrations, etc.).
The degree syllabus has been created for students who would like to work in R&D&i in the food industry and for those who wish to work in scientific research in universities or technology and research centres.
The main career opportunities are in research and development departments in the agrifood industry. This industry is currently growing faster than other sectors, and should continue to expand in the near future. In Catalonia, there is a high concentration of agriculture and food companies, which explains why it is important for the University of Barcelona to offer training in this field.
For students interested in a career in research, the master's degree offers the training needed to become a research professional in the food and nutrition sector and to join research teams in universities or in other centres and institutions.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic
Clayton , Australia