Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master's Degree in Cultural Management
This 90-credit master's degree is part of the University of Barcelona's Cultural Management Program. It seeks to provide training to prospective cultural management, administration and mediation professionals with the skills to take on responsible roles in the public or private sector, tackling generalist projects and a variety of cultural sectors such as audiovisual media, publishing, performing arts, music, heritage services and visual arts. It is also aimed at training researchers in cultural management and policies, leading to the doctoral program in Cultural and Heritage Management.
The teaching and research experience of the University of Barcelona in this field dates back to 1989. Over time, the UB has been able to carefully construct a didactic discourse that has garnered broad international recognition. A considerable effort has been made to structure content, collect experiences and documentation, and design simulation exercises and teaching methods to develop intellectual curiosity and a common-sense approach. The challenge of this collective work has been to create high-quality training to prepare competent professionals for work across the entire range of cultural institutions, projects, facilities and services.
The University of Barcelona also offers a variety of UB-specific lifelong learning programs and part-time vocational courses for professionals in the field of cultural management, including the master's degree in Management of Cultural Institutions and Organizations and the postgraduate diplomas in International Cooperation and Cultural Management, Artistic Performances: Production and Management, and Cultural Tourism.
The main language of instruction is Catalan, but some subjects are taught in Spanish or English (this information will be given in the individual course plans).
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Economic framework and structure of cultural sectors
- Cultural policy
- Conceptual and methodological bases of research
- Communication and cultural marketing policies
- Accounting control and budgetary design for cultural managers
- Organizational leadership and human resources management
- Application of social psychology to cultural management
- Strategies of local cultural intervention
- Analysis of public and programming policies
- Museology and patrimonial intervention models
- Conceptualization of culture and heritage
- The artistic market: criteria and circuits
- Creative cities: intervention models and entrepreneurial dynamics
- Prospective and analysis of cultural projects I
- Strategic design of cultural projects
- Law applied to cultural management
- International comparative models of cultural policy
- Participation and sociocultural animation
- Governance and globalization system
- Design and control of a production
- Financing and raising funds
- Economic feasibility of cultural projects
- Cultural and heritage tourism
- Conception and design of cultural web pages
- Prospective and analysis of cultural projects II
- Cultural management practices
- Final Project
This course provides prospective cultural management, administration, mediation and research professionals with the skills to take on high-level roles in the public or private sectors, in a variety of cultural areas: audiovisual media, publishing, scenic arts, music, heritage services, visual arts, etc. It also aims to develop research skills and to encourage reflection on theoretical and applied aspects of work in this field, as well as contributing to improving the general levels of professionalism, efficiency and internationalization of the sector.
Cultural managers operate in a range of roles and fields depending on the specific cultural and institutional parameters of their local and regional contexts. The primary factors that shape opportunities in the sector are the degree of direct or indirect governmental involvement in cultural organizations; the degree of development of private management of cultural activities; the scale of existing projects; and the degree of interaction with other culture professionals and with professionals outside the framework of cultural organizations.
To address these emerging challenges, the master's degree in Cultural Management provides the training for a range of career options:
- Manager, specialist or administrator in the framework of public, civic or business services, teams and projects.
- Planner/producer of cultural events (in the arts and humanities, festivals, heritage, tourism, etc).
- Regional cultural manager.
- Planner/promoter of intercultural dynamics and socio-cultural activities.
- Researcher in cultural management and cultural policies.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Cultural Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Potsdam, United States of America