Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master's Degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice Policy and Sociology of Criminal LawUniversitat de Barcelona
Master's Degree in Criminology, Criminal Justice Policy and Sociology of Criminal Law
This master's degree builds on the basic premise that appropriate, effective action in the area of criminality is inseparable from a rigorous social analysis of the causes and consequences of criminal behaviour. Therefore, the program offers a solid academic and curricular structure and a prestigious team of teaching staff with distinguished careers in their fields.
This provides the foundations for concentrated effort, a broad knowledge base, and diverse perspectives on criminal and penal sciences, with a marked interdisciplinary character brought by the participation of different university departments and external experts.
The program is also available in Catalan.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This master's degree is intended for professionals interested in using the methodology of criminal science to find novel ways of dealing with crime, the causes of crime, and crime prevention. The program builds on the approaches of the social and legal sciences to provide a clearly defined academic framework in which to address the needs and interests of criminal science and political science professionals.
Universities have proved to be effective in the design and development of new conceptual approaches methodological tools for criminology, particularly in the area of sociology of criminal law, which can be put to practical use in specific realities. Therefore, this master's degree is of particular interest to recent graduates in criminology and related areas of the social sciences.
The program aims to foster a vocational interest in scientific research among recent graduates, with a view to driving further advances in criminology as an independent scientific discipline. The course also targets the progressive qualitative improvement of professional knowledge in this discipline and its practical application.
This master's degree is intended for those interested in a career in the criminal justice system or as a specialist or management-level professional in penitentiary services, juvenile justice, social services, victim services, etc. Additionally, the program is suitable for those wishing to embark on a career as a criminologist, lawyer, judge, public defender, member of public or private security forces, sociologist, political scientist, psychologist or anthropologist or work in teaching or advanced research.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...