About this program
Master's Degree in Contemporary History and Today's World
The master's degree in Contemporary History and Today's World, which is organized by the University of Barcelona and the Open University of Catalonia, seeks to train students and professionals interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the history and dynamics of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and the complexity of today's world.
The master's degree examines the processes of evolution and rupture that have occurred from the beginning of the nineteenth century to the present day. The degree takes a broad view of history in order to develop the students' ability to analyse and comprehend the historical and cultural diversity of the world in which we live and, through this understanding, to foster respect for the values of others and greater concern for civic-mindedness.
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish 20%; Catalan 80%.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
In this program, students will:
- Develop a detailed, critical understanding of the fundamental theoretical and methodological aspects of the study of history, the evolution of different theories of historical analysis, and the main problems and areas of discussion in this field of study.
- Acquire the analytical problem-solving skills to transform diverse types of information and data into valuable historical knowledge.
- Acquire a detailed, diachronic understanding of the major events and processes of change and continuity in human history from the beginning of the nineteenth century to the present day, focusing particularly on historical and cultural diversity and developing a respect for the values of others.
- Acquire advanced knowledge of the theoretical and methodological principles underlying the study of societies, particularly in times of change (crisis, conflict, transformation, etc.), involving the ability to critically examine any kind of source or document.
- Acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the concepts, categories, theories, interpretative models and issues that shape the study of contemporary history.
- Develop a critical approach to the study of history and the ability to summarize and critically appraise the major periods, processes and events of contemporary history.
- Consolidate and improve the capacity for spoken and written expression and the accurate use of specialized terminology.
- Transmit and disseminate the knowledge acquired in a clear manner, to specialists and non-specialists.
- Demonstrate the learning skills to facilitate further learning requiring a self-directed approach.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
The course is intended for students trained in historical research who want to analyse in greater depth contemporary historical study, diverse lines of research, and the latest trends in the field of contemporary historical science. In addition, the degree seeks to prepare professionals who can apply their knowledge of history to professional activities in the areas of culture and communication.
The master's degree provides access to doctoral studies for those interested in pursuing further research.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!