Master's Degree in Construction and Representation of Cultural Identity
In increasingly complex multicultural societies, where the coexistence of languages and cultures shapes the construction of diverse identities, there is a growing need for critical analysis of the processes by which identities are constructed and of the dynamics of multicultural phenomena.
This master's degree offers advanced training in the definition and analysis of processes involved in the cultural construction of ideas, in particular the notion of identity, and in the representations of these ideas in literature, cinema, theatre and other media. It also addresses issues of receptions, translation and cultural management in the context of multicultural societies in constant transformation that make up today's world.
The objective of this master's degree is to provide quality education in the field of literary analysis that matches the cultural realities of the modern world, marked by increasing contact and exchange between cultures in an overarching process of globalization. The goal is for students to develop cultural and text analysis skills and the ability to evaluate the phenomena of intercultural reception, which are essential for the critical appraisal of changing, plural realities.
The following specializations are offered:
- Literature, Gender and Identities
- Literature and Interculturality
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish 20%; Catalan 40%; English 40%.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This master's degree course broadens the knowledge and skills acquired in the corresponding EHEA bachelor's degree (formerly the llicenciatura) and provides students with the analytical, critical and theoretical skills required to reflect on the processes of constructing and representing identities in a wide range of texts types (literary, film, theatre, philosophical, historical and artistic) and cultural contexts, mainly from (post)modern society. There will be a particular focus on the issues of gender, subjectivity, class and ethnic group, and on the reception and study of intercultural relations.
Within this general framework, students will be able to select one of the two specializations offered, according to their personal interests. This specialization is the first step in the process of introducing students to advanced research, which is one of the main aims of the degree. Specifically, students will carry out a supervised final project, which will be presented and defended in a public session before a panel of examiners. The degree course is the taught stage of the official doctoral program of the same name, which has received the Spanish government's quality award (MEC:ME2011-0583).
The knowledge and skills gained during this master's degree can be applied to a wide range of professional environments with a central role in the sociocultural and socioeconomic contexts addressed by the course. The degree is designed both to train new professionals and to provide continuing training for working professionals who wish to keep up to date with the changing cultural realities of the contemporary world.
Graduates will be suited to careers or further training in the following fields:
- University education
- Secondary education
- Cultural management
- Information technologies
- Social media
This master's degree course focuses on a multidisciplinary field of study that is one of the most advanced and up-to-date areas of humanities research. Its key concepts and methods are being developed through constant dialogue with the disciplines on which it is based (national languages, comparative literature, gender studies and intermediality, among others). Therefore, it provides major opportunities for research and knowledge transfer.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Construction and Representation of Cultural Identity? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Potsdam, United States of America
Pretoria, South Africa