Master's Degree in Conflict Mediation
The master's degree in Conflict Mediation is characterized by a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary approach. As such, tuition is provided by university lecturers and other professionals a range of fields, including psychology, law, education, economics, business and nursing.
Mediation arises from the need to address the personal, relational, structural and cultural conflicts that arise in public and private settings. The aim of conflict mediation is to transform a dispute in a peaceful way and to facilitate mutual understanding on the social, legal and political levels. In professional terms, mediation is a sector that has experienced rapid growth in recent years, in Catalonia, across Spain, and throughout the European Union.
The last five years have seen a significant increase in the demand for mediators in the public arena and, more recently, growing demand has also been evident among companies and organizations in the private sector.
While for some years there have existed posts within the penal mediation and resolution service of the Catalan Ministry of Justice, it is mainly since the 2005 publication of the book La mediació comunitària: propostes d'actuació ('Community mediation: proposals for action') and the establishment of the Centre for Family Mediation of Catalonia that job offers for mediators within local government offices have begun to emerge. In addition, there has been a notable increase in individual requests for mediators to help resolve conflicts at the family and community levels, mainly regarding consumer and school issues, as highlighted in the White Paper on Mediation in Catalonia (2010), which collates data from a research study undertaken with the specific aim of obtaining an overview of mediation activities.
The master's degree in Conflict Mediation is designed to fulfil the need for quality university training in mediation in the areas of civil and commercial law and business, both for future meditation professionals and for future researchers in the field
The program is also available in Catalan.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The master's degree in Conflict Mediation provides professional training in conflict management and mediation, giving students them the skills and knowledge to take action in the family, community and business or organizational spheres, and to promote conflict prevention, management and resolution. The course also prepares students for a career in research.
The master's degree offers highly specialized training in mediation techniques and strategies and in research methods in the area of mediation, incorporating methodologies that have a significant practical and participative focus.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
Because the program's areas of work address a variety of professional fields, the career opportunities for students of this master's degree cover a wide range of roles, including the following:
- Mediator as a liberal professional or freelance professional in a variety of areas.
- Citizen and community mediator within public institutions that interact closely with the public.
- School mediator within the educational community.
- Mediation in the general field of health.
- Mediation in the general field of sport.
- Mediator in organizations and/or companies, contributing competences to conflict resolution and mediation in human resources and occupational risk prevention.
- Educator and researcher.
- Legal and criminal mediator in the field of justice.
- Coordinator of projects and services.
- Designer of intervention programs for conflict resolution and mediation.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Conflict Mediation? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain