Master's Degree in Biological AnthropologyUniversitat de Barcelona
Master's Degree in Biological Anthropology
All available course dates
Master's Degree in Biological Anthropology
The master's degree Biological Anthropology is intended to provide holders of degrees in experimental sciences and the humanities with up-to-date training in human biodiversity, its origin, evolution and the biomedical implications. The program responds to the growing demand for specialists in the area of human biology and physical anthropology, contributing knowledge and methodologies pertaining to this area of specialization and related areas (e.g., physiology, genetics, zoology, medicine, archaeology).
The program focuses primarily on research and offers students the opportunity both to collaborate with businesses working in this field and to complete their final project in collaboration with outside institutions. Students are offered two specializations: Physical and Forensic Anthropology, and Molecular Anthropology and Biomedical Applications.
These studies are aimed at people who are interested in the following areas:
- Forensic anthropology and the osteological and molecular techniques used in individual identification.
- Anthropology applied to archaeology, including taphonomy, demographics and the reconstruction of ancient populations.
- Human evolution, primatology and prehistory.
- Molecular anthropology.
- Biomedical applications of human molecular diversity in cytogenetics, complex diseases and genetic epidemiology.
This master's degree addresses all of these areas in an in-depth and interrelated manner. More than 50% of the content will be applied work in osteology, molecular biology and computer laboratories.
The program is also available in Catalan.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Fundamentals of human biology: key concepts
- Fundamentals of human biology: instrumental techniques
- Advances in Human Evolution
- Identification Methods
- Taphonomy and Fieldwork in Anthropology
- Numerical Analysis of Morphological Diversity
- Demographic Anthropology and Reconstruction of Ancient Populations
- Genes, genomes and populations
- From the Genome to the Complex Phenotypes
- Genomic Models for Prediction in Epidemiology
- Advanced Molecular Methods
- Molecular Evolution
- Cancer Genetics
- Forensic Genetics
- Anthropology of Food
- Environment, populations and emerging diseases
- Genetic and Environment Factors Affecting Human Diseases
The master's degree Human Biology has the following general objectives:
- To train scientists in the area of anthropology who can foster cross-disciplinary work between experimental sciences and the humanities.
- To provide and update knowledge for future professionals in the areas of human evolution, individual variation and human molecular diversity.
- To provide in-depth skills in the use of basic techniques and tools (laboratory and statistical) applied to anthropology.
In the pursuit of these general and specific objectives in each subject, students will acquire generic competences related to the biological and cultural mechanisms of human diversity and their relationship to the problems of our society and their resolution.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Grayslake, United States of America
Carson, United States of America