Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master's Degree in Aquaculture
The master's degree Aquaculture is designed primarily for holders of bachelor's degrees or diplomas or for technical engineers who want to enhance their knowledge of aquaculture. The program seeks to train professionals for the aquaculture sector with a high level of scientific knowledge, a mastery of multidisciplinary techniques and the capacity to assume managerial responsibilities. The program offers students the chance to develop the skills needed to carry out research, development and innovation in the public and private sectors.
Postgraduates will be in demand for positions in a number of areas: varying degrees of responsibility in aquaculture production, new business start-ups, consulting firms, project development at the national and international level, aquaculture-related industries including the production of fish fodder, drugs and vaccines, the transformation of fish products, marketing, the pharmaceutical industry, public administration at all levels and research departments in the public and private sectors.
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish and English.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Specific formation modules of the Master in Aquaculture
- Physiology of species of interest in aquaculture
- Animal health and welfare in aquatic animals
- Aquaculture as a productive sector
- Final dissertation
- To gain an understanding of production, sustainability and responsibility in aquaculture.
- To acquire knowledge of the latest developments in the nutrition, metabolism and growth of aquaculture species, focusing on theoretical issues and potential applications for enhanced product quality.
- To gain an understanding of the current state of knowledge in the immunology and pathology of fish species important in aquaculture, using the tools needed for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and understanding the interaction of aquaculture and the environment.
- To understand the basic design criteria and engineering principles needed to set up and manage a successful aquaculture system, as well as the principles underlying the technical and business management of an aquaculture company and how to market the product.
- To acquire the skills, knowledge and tools to undertake research in public and private research centres.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...