Master's Degree in Applied Linguistics and Language Acquisition in Multilingual Contexts
The university master's degree in Applied Linguistics and Language Acquisition in Multilingual Contexts (LAALCM) is designed to train Spanish and international students to answer key questions in applied linguistics and second language acquisition in the world's numerous, diverse multilingual contexts. Students will learn to analyse these questions, develop a general understanding of the tools, techniques and methods required to answer them, and carry out their own research in a final project, in which they can apply the knowledge they have acquired.
The principal objectives are for students to understand the main phenomena in language acquisition, to learn about the latest research questions and results in the field of applied linguistics, to learn to transfer research results to teaching practice, and to acquire the independence to propose and carry out a basic applied research project.
The program is closely linked to on-going developments in international research in the field of applied linguistics carried out by members of the teaching staff. Among other topics, this research focuses on the role of age, input, individual differences in second language acquisition, vocabulary acquisition, perception, second language production, bilingualism and multilingualism, content and language integrated learning, and specific methodological and technological aspects of applied linguistics research.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The course is divided into the following modules
- Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- Research Methodology in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition
- Research Topics in Second Language Acquisition and the Teaching and Learning of Second Languages
- Final Project (MA thesis)
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
The general objectives of the master's degree are to train specialized researchers in the main phenomena of language acquisition and applied linguistics in general, who can transfer research results to teaching practice and carry out a basic applied research projects.
The training will enable students to deepen their knowledge of applied linguistics, particularly with regard to foreign language acquisition and advances in new technologies for language research and learning.
Students will develop greater knowledge and skills in relation to the new linguistic scenarios in schools and general society, and will carry out reflexive teaching practice.
Students who successfully complete the master's degree will be prepared for research careers in the humanities and social sciences, particularly in disciplines such as philology, linguistics, applied linguistics, language planning, teaching and education. They will also have the skills to work as teaching professionals in all of the above areas and in a range of other professions, including linguistic and intercultural mediation.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Applied Linguistics and Language Acquisition in Multilingual Contexts? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...