Master's Degree in Anthropology and Ethnography
Social and cultural anthropology is a social science that focuses on the processes of human sociability from a comparative viewpoint. More specifically, it explores the issue of cultural diversity.In addition to this transcultural perspective, social and cultural anthropology makes use of its own specific research method: ethnography. The success of the qualitative methodology employed in ethnography has clearly crossed the boundaries between disciplines, and it has already had a decisive influence in areas such as education, sociology and social work.
The master's degree in Anthropology and Ethnography is designed to make a contribution to the generation of complex knowledge regarding the social, political, economic and educational challenges facing Catalan society in a European and international context.
The global scale of many contemporary phenomena is giving rise to social and cultural changes that underscore the importance of social diversity, which is the central focus of the research and thought that characterize anthropology as a discipline. Migration flows and the precarious situations associated with the economic crisis, for example, are creating new social needs in fields such as education, labour relations, healthcare and housing; in these fields, diversity often leads to a lack of understanding or acceptance that anthropology, more than any other discipline, can help to resolve.
By studying realities that differ widely from our own, anthropology has helped to develop a specific perspective that encourages better understanding of sociocultural phenomena.
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish and Catalan.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
The Master's Degree in Anthropology and Ethnography is designed to achieve two basic objectives:
- To produce researchers specializing in anthropological research who are able to work in specialized and interdisciplinary teams. This makes the course a natural progression route for students who wish to undertake doctoral studies in Social Anthropology.
- To provide students with tools to analyse and interpret, primarily by applying the ethnographic method, the most significant phenomena and problems affecting contemporary society, such as unemployment, migration, consumption, ethnic conflicts, social exclusion, religion, and changes in family relationships.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...