Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Master's Degree in Ancient Cultures and Languages
The master's degree in Ancient Cultures and Languages is unique in Europe, due to its specific character and course structure. It provides instruction in the three fundamental ancient languages ' Greek, Latin and Hebrew ' and offers the chance to specialize in the cultures of two geographical areas of the ancient world, the Mediterranean and the Middle East, which were immersed in a process of 'fruitful interaction' for many centuries. The course plots a course from the origins of Mesopotamian civilization to the present day, taking in the languages, scripts and cultural manifestations of the ancient world.
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish 20%; Catalan 80%.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29 October, students wishing to be admitted to a university master's degree must hold one of the following qualifications:
- Official Spanish university degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification issued by an institution outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, applicants must request homologation of the degree to its equivalent official Spanish university qualification or obtain express approval from the University of Barcelona, which will conduct a study of equivalence to ensure that the degree is of a comparable level to an official Spanish university qualification and that it grants access to university master's degree study in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other thanthat of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Students will acquire an initial level of compulsory, in-depth knowledge of the Semitic or Indo-European languages of the regions, their writing systems (from cuneiform to the alphabet) and their literary systems, and learn to appreciate their differences and similarities within a common framework.
Then students will complete their training in one of these two great cultural areas by choosing between the specializations Classics and The Bible and the Ancient Near East, acquiring a mastery of the relevant languages (Greek and Latin or Hebrew and Near Eastern Languages).
Students will have direct access to these cultures' works of literature and art situated in their historical, anthropological and social contexts and they will gain an understanding of how the legacy of the ancient world has been received and perpetuated in our own culture.
Students will develop a rigorous expertise in the sciences of antiquity.
- Professional research, generating knowledge in the fields of classical philology (Greek and Latin), Hebrew, Assyriology and Indo-European studies, as well as in all fields related to the humanities (other languages, philosophy, history, archaeology, theology, etc.)
- Teaching in the areas of study covered by the master's degree syllabus and in other related areas, at all educational levels.
- Professional cultural activities in areas of the related to the area of humanities, from editorial work, journalism and the organization and promotion of exhibitions and festivals, to participation in social-political projects relating to the Mediterranean region and the Middle East.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Want to know more about Master's Degree in Ancient Cultures and Languages? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Prague, Czech Republic