Master's Degree in Advanced Studies in History of Art
This degree is aimed at holders of pre-EHEA undergraduate degrees in History of Art or related fields who want to gain a deeper understanding of the research mechanisms needed to prepare a doctoral thesis or to apply their knowledge to art distribution and the art market.
The master's degree in Advanced Studies in Art History is structured around two specializations:
- The first addresses specific knowledge of historiography and the methodology required for the rigorous preparation of studies in art history.
- The second focuses on the explanation and experience of activities involved in art collecting (museums, foundations, educational institutions and private patrons), the art market (trade fairs, galleries, antiquarian dealers and auctions) and in the distribution and dissemination of art (education, publishing, criticism and the media).
Each of the specializations requires students to complete a range of core, compulsory subjects as well as the optional subjects unique to the specialized pathway. In addition, all students prepare a final project that will give them the opportunity to seek admission to doctoral studies.
A variety of career opportunities are linked to this area of knowledge: teaching and research are particularly strong options, but there are also growing opportunities to apply the knowledge acquired during the degree program to the field of social development.
The languages of instruction for this program are Spanish and Catalan.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
In this program, students will learn to:
- Critically identify the diachronic and synchronic processes in different fields of art history, and the methodological options available for the scientific appreciation of art in different historical contexts, for the purpose of designing appropriate cognitive models.
- Determine and explain the relationship between artistic thought (theoretical, critical and aesthetic) and the process of artistic production throughout history.
- Understand the evolution of issues related to artistic heritage in its various manifestations (monuments, collections, museums, the market, curating and tourism) in order to compare and distinguish between qualitative historical changes.
- Classify and evaluate techniques and strategies in publications or specialized art history sections or supplements, to provide an overview of the artistic process and its phases.
- Appreciate the complexity of today's globalized and multicultural art world.
- Identify new artistic genres and the symbiosis and overlaps between all the arts (fine arts, performing and visual arts, cinema and audiovisual) through critical analysis.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain