About this program
Specialised Translation and Conference Interpreting
By choosing the Curriculum in Conference Interpreting at the end of your studies you will be an expert in the field of interpreting for companies, bodies and international institutions.
The Curriculum in Specialised Translation will give you the skills to become an established translator. You can choose whether to work in traditional areas such as publishing or in sectors such as fashion and design, at public agencies, institutions and private companies
Since each sector and each type of text involves a particular style, the translator must be able to recognize and reproduce a wide range of styles. Therefore, an intensive cycle of lessons is proposed for four days a week, which can be divided into four distinct areas
The "laboratory" lessons are perhaps the most important. You will learn how to process texts from specialised fields (economics, tourism, medicine, engineering, etc.) from and into both languages. Each year three or four areas are covered and lessons are coordinated so as to allow students to work on the same area at the same time, in both languages.
In the lessons dedicated to literary translation you will learn to analyse literary texts (especially novels) and to translate with a deep awareness of the relationship between style and content. Classical and contemporary texts are dealt with. In recent years, students have also collectively translated works of fiction which were subsequently published by Italian publishing houses.
All translation lessons, both literary and technical, include weekly written assignments that can be sent by email.
Courses are also planned on fundamental themes for the training of a translator: Italian language, comparative literature, linguistics, aesthetics, computer-assisted translation. These lessons do not propose a repetition of what was studied during the three-year period, but are specifically designed for the needs of students of the specialist degree.
Finally, each student chooses two optional courses from those offered specifically for this master's degree or those available in other master's degrees of the University.
The current selection includes:
- International marketing
- Theory and practice of interpreting
- Rhetorical Studies, Media and Communication and Cultural Studies
Access to the Master's Degree Course requires adequate knowledge in the field of language mediation for at least two of the chosen foreign languages, together with solid basic knowledge in the area of foreign languages and cultures.
There is no provision for the attribution of educational debts or additional educational obligations to students who enrol in master's degrees.
Both curricula (Specialised Translation and Conference Interpreting) require active and passive competence in two foreign languages. The level of knowledge of foreign languages should be broadly equal to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Master's Degree Course in Specialist Translation and Conference Interpreting
- Languages and forms of Italian literary production
- Sector languages and English translation
- Sector languages and second language translation (choice of French, Spanish, German, Arabic, Russian, Chinese)
- Laboratory of applied computer science for interpretation
- History of international relations
- International law
Master's Degree Course in Specialised Translation and Conference Interpreting
- Editorial and specialist translation: English I
- Editorial translation: fiction and non-fiction
- Specialist Translation Laboratory: communication, manuals, economics and finance
- Editorial and specialist translation: French I or Spanish I or German I or Arabic I or Russian I or Chinese I
- Editorial translation: fiction and non-fiction
- Specialist Translation Laboratory: Communication, manuals, economics and finance
- Languages and forms of Italian literary production (in common with other curriculum)
- Analysis and reception of translated text
- Translation tools
- Assisted Translation and Localization
- Automated translation and post-editing
- Editing techniques, genres and textuality
- English fiction and non-fiction II
- Editorial translation: fiction and non-fiction French II or Spanish II or German II or Arabic II or Russian II or Chinese II
- Audiovisual translation (subtitling and dubbing)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
IULM’s Conference Interpreting programme provides graduates with excellent skills in interpreting techniques. With this knowledge, graduates will be able to work for private companies as well as national and international institutions and organizations such as the UN, UNESCO, FAO and the European Parliament. In addition, graduates will have the skill set needed to work as a successful freelance interpreter.
IULM’s Specialized Translation programme will allow graduates to take on prestigious roles in the publishing industry as well as in national and international institutions. Graduates will also be able to work for institutions and organizations that deal with teaching and research. Naturally, graduates will also have the skills needed to work as a successful freelance translator for private clients.
Message the school
About this institute
Università IULM is the center of excellence in Italy for training in Communication and New Media, Languages, Tourism, Arts and Design. For more than 50 years, Università IULM has been building its educational mission based on expertise, knowledge and awareness,...
Want to know more about Specialised Translation and Conference Interpreting? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!