Interpreting and Communication
The first step to becoming an expert in the field of translation, interpreting and communication. English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese and even in Danish; essential skills to work globally.
The University's historical vocation in the teaching of foreign languages is integrated with its specificity in the field of communication. In addition, the programme is delivered in collaboration with the Scuola Superiore per Mediatori Linguistici "Carlo Bo", a renowned Italian institution specializing in the training of interpreters and translators.
A secondary school diploma or other foreign qualification recognized as equivalent by IULM is required for admission to the degree programme.
In addition, the following skills are also necessary:
- a general understanding of Italian and European cultural, linguistic and literary history;
- the ability to insert them in coherent historical and geographical coordinates;
- excellent competence of the Italian language;
- knowledge of at least one language of European culture.
The following categories of candidates may apply for the admissions test:
- Italian or EU nationals holding an Italian 5-year high school diploma or equivalent qualification;
- Italian or EU nationals holding a qualification equivalent to the Italian high school diploma obtained on completion of a period of schooling of no less than 12 years;
- non-EU nationals upon presentation of an application for admission in accordance with provisions in force regarding the entry, stay and enrolment of foreign/international students, as well as an evaluation of documentation and of each specific situation;
- Italian citizens attending the fourth year of an Italian high school – with the exception of the Bachelor’s degree course in Interpreting and Communication, for which attendance in at least the fifth year is compulsory;
- Italian citizens attending the fifth year of an Italian high school;
- EU or non-EU nationals attending the final year in a high school in their home country or a Foundation Year(a preparatory course for international students who have not completed a 12-year period of schooling), subsequent to evaluation of documentation and of each specific situation.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Language and Italian literature
- Language and Italian culture(with writing workshop)
- Current Italian Literature
- General linguistics
- Theory and practice of conference translation and interpretation
- Cultural Anthropology
- English language laboratory I
- Written language mediations: English language I
- Oral language mediation: English language I
- Laboratory of second foreign language I
- Written language mediations: second foreign language I
- Oral language mediation: second foreign language I
- Laboratory of computer tools for translation and interpreting
- Culture, literature and history of the English language
- History of English culture and language
- English Literature
- Culture, literature and history of the second language
- History of the culture and language of the second language
- Literature of second language
- Contemporary History
- English language laboratory II
- Written language mediations: English language II
- Oral language mediation: English language II
- Second foreign language laboratory II
- Written language mediations: second foreign language II
- Oral language mediation: second foreign language II
- Comparative literature
- International organisation
- Economy of companies and international markets
- Psychology of communication
- English language laboratory III
- Written language mediations: English language III
- Oral language mediation: English language III
- Second foreign language laboratory III
- Written language mediations: second foreign language III
- Oral language mediation: second foreign language III
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
The interdisciplinary nature of the Degree Course in Interpreting and Communication will provide the student with both the oral and written skills of the target languages, as well as the technical and communicative skills necessary to operate in the linguistic mediation sector. These are the characteristics that, together with a solid understanding in the humanistic, legal and economic fields, form a professional profile capable of responding to specific market needs.
For this reason, in addition to the ability to interpret and translate into two foreign languages through laboratory practice, the programme aims to deliver a sound preparation in literature, culture and history of languages, as well as providing the basics of economic processes and international jurisprudence. The study of theoretical, methodological, deontological and psycho-social issues is aimed at achieving a critical approach, which can allow the graduate to address a wide range of situations of interlingual and intercultural communication.
An Interpreting and Communication degree will grant graduates access to IULM’s two-year masters degree in Conference Interpreting and Specialized Translation.
A degree in Interpreting and Communication will allow graduates to work in any field that requires knowledge and use of foreign languages in a professional context, both in Italy and abroad. This includes multinational corporations, public institutions, the fashion industry, journalism, the publishing industry, cultural events and more.
Some specific roles that graduates can take on: external relations manager for companies or public institutions; corporate communications manager for multinational corporations or import/export businesses; spokesperson and press agent; and news agency intermediary.
About this institute
Università IULM is the center of excellence in Italy for training in Communication and New Media, Languages, Tourism, Arts and Design. For more than 50 years, Università IULM has been building its educational mission based on expertise, knowledge and awareness,...
Want to know more about Interpreting and Communication? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Gran Canaria, Spain