Master in Regional and Urban Planning
The overall aim of this program of studies is to equip students with an understanding of territorial planning which includes the following three dimensions:
- the ability to intervene in real situations
- an awareness of the major trends in territorial planning and future tendencies in this field worldwide
- a critical stance towards the relationship between planning and society
The program thus aims at enhancing students' access to solid theoretical, conceptual and instrumental foundations, enabling him or her to analyse, assess, critically understand and act upon the territory in its physical, environmental, social, economic and political dimensions.
- Licenciatura level degree, or legal equivalent.
- Foreign higher education degree in awarded on completion of a 1st cycle study program organised in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process.
- Foreign higher education degree recognised as satisfying the objectives of the licenciatura degree by the scientifically and statutorily competent body.
- The Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro may admit applicants proposed by the Director of the Study Cycle who do not meet the conditions specified above but whose academic, scientific or professional curriculum reveal an adequate preparation for frequenting the Masters program, in accordance with Article 17, Nº 1, d), Decree Law nº 74/2006, as expressed in DL nº 65/2018 of 16 August, and Article 47, Nº 1, d) of the Study Regulations of the University of Aveiro.
- The recognition referred to in 2, 3 and 4 is valid only for entry to the study cycle and does not confer equivalence to the degree of licenciatura or recognition of this degree.
- Students enrolled in the 2019/2020 academic year in a cycle of University of Aveiro studies and who meet conditions for application in 2020/2021 may not apply for the same cycle of studies under the terms of this competition.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Urban Forms
- Strategic Territorial Planning
- Environmental Systems And Sustainability
- Planning Support Techniques
- Development And Integrated Planning Of Tourist Destinations
- Europeanisation Of Political And Administrative Systems
- Public Urban Space
- Sociology And Economics Of Sustainable Development
- Tourism And Economic Development
- Environment And Development Strategies
- Mobility Planning
- Soci-economic And Territorial Dynamics
- Urban Planning
- Planning Systems And Policies
- Legislation And Urban Administration
- Territory, Regional Policies And Innovation
- Dissertation/ Project /Placement
- Europe And Population Policies
- Urban Rehabilitation Policies
- Dissertation / Project / Placement
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Local/EU Students: 1000€ per year
- International/Non-EU Students: 4000€ per year
Our goal is, therefore, to equip students with the following competences:
- the ability to identify the communities’ current and future needs and acknowledge the opportunities, effects, constraints and demands involved when undertaking specific courses of action and /or developmental strategies;
- the capacity to adopt and /or build models of territorial organisation and development strategies so as to substantiate intervention choices that take into account the diversity of perspectives and choices and benefit both individual interests or those of the community as a whole;
- the capacity to engage in multicultural dialogue about ideas, concepts, principles, and models of development and territorial planning;
- the ability to integrate and value the professional ethical principles associated with territorial planning of the territory.
Skills achieved with this master program allow students to intervene in many areas related with spatial planning.
In professional terms, the public sector has a very relevant role in regional and urban planning. Among public administration's entities one can name Regional Development Coordination Comissions (CCDR), Municipalities and several public institutes. But also in the private sector, companies tend to include more skilled professionalls from regional and urban planning in their working teams.
Multi disciplinary profile of this master program allows future professionals to increase their field of intervention, not "merely" dedicated to produce plans. More specialized tasks, important for decision-making, on fields like demography or social-economy are just some of the examples.
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Want to know more about Master in Regional and Urban Planning? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Liberec, Czech Republic
New York City, United States of America