Master in Chemistry
This MSc course is addressed to students holding the first cycle in Chemistry or related areas, and features a sound chemistry education at the second cycle level, with continuity, scientific and pedagogic consistency and with a curriculum structure flexible to be adapted to the evolution of the market needs. The objectives of this Master are:
- To provide a solid background in new and key fields of Chemistry, namely Nanochemistry and Biomolecular Chemistry;
- To provide an advanced theoretical background and practical training in techniques for separation and spectroscopic characterization;
- To introduce students into specific areas such as Macromolecular Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Computational Chemistry or Metrology and Accreditation in Chemistry, which are optional courses;
- To provide advanced training in a specific area of Specialization which must be chosen by the student among the following:
- Specialization in Analytical Chemistry and Quality
- Specialization in Inorganic Chemistry and Materials
- Specialization in Organic Chemistry and Natural Products
- Specialization in Chemistry of Renewable Resources and Bio-refineries
- Licenciatura level degree, or legal equivalent in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Engineering, Pharmacy and related programs.
- Foreign higher education degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Engineering, Pharmacy and related programs, awarded on completion of a 1st cycle study program organised in accordance with the principles o f the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process.
- Foreign higher education degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Engineering, Pharmacy and related programs, recognised as satisfying the objectives of the licenciatura degree by the scientifically and statutorily competent body.
- The Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro may admit applicants proposed by the Director of the Study Cycle who do not meet the conditions specified above but whose academic, scientific or professional curriculum reveal an adequate preparation for frequenting the Masters program, in accordance with Article 17, Nº 1, d), Decree Law nº 74/2006, as expressed in DL nº 65/2018 of 16 August, and Article 47, Nº 1, d) of the Study Regulations of the University of Aveiro.
- The recognition referred to in 2,3 and 4 is valid only for entry to the study cycle and does not confer equivalence to the degree of licenciatura or recognition of this degree.
- Students enrolled in the 2019/2020 academic year in a cycle of University of Aveiro studies and who meet conditions for application in 2020/2021 may not apply for the same cycle o f studies under the terms of this competition.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Spectroscopic Techniques
- Macromolecular Chemistry
- Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry Of Agro-forest Materials
- Quality Assurance
- Reactivity Of Organic Compost
- Chemical Refining Of Plant Biomass
- Colloids, Surfaces And Interfaces
- Inorganic Industrial Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Occurance And Biosynthesis Of Natural Products
- Sampling And Sample Preparation
- Separation Techniques
- Computational Chemistry
- Metrology And Accreditation In Chemistry
- Advanced Materials Chemistry
- Polymers And Composites From Renewable Materials
- Synthesis Of Natural Products
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Bioprocessing Of Renewable Resources
- Chemistry Of Heterocyclic Compounds
- Instrumental Analysis Techniques
- Organic Biocides
- Technology Of Agro-forest Materials
- Dissertation / Project / Internship
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Local/EU Students: 1000€ per year
- International/Non-EU Students: 5500€ per year
It must be noted that, independently of the Specialization area chosen, the skills developed will enable these graduates to continue their PhD training in any area of Chemistry.
Overall, the generic and specific skills developed during the Master course will enable students to enter the labour market, as highly qualified professionals, or to continue studies at the PhD level.
Depending on the chosen Area of Specialization, the holders of the Master degree in Chemistry will have scientific qualifications that will enable them to develop with competence their professional activity in the following areas:
- Analytical laboratories in the areas of Chemistry (Analytical, Industrial and Food), Environment and Health - As responsible persons for quality control in research laboratories, industry and services - As trainers in Quality Control;
- In research and development, quality control, production and marketing of advanced materials for the industries of electronics, communications, metallurgy and ceramics and glass;
- In research and development, quality control, production and marketing of products from chemical industries in sectors linked to agro-chemicals, pharmaceutics, cosmetics and fine organic chemistry in general;
- In research and development, quality control, production and marketing of products in the chemical industries in the sectors of polymers, plastics, paints and coatings, composites, pulp and paper, pellets, cork and agro-food.
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Want to know more about Master in Chemistry? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates