Master in Built Heritage Conservation
The objective of this course is to ensure that the Master in Heritage Rehabilitation will be qualified to exercise the profession of engineering technician, in the specialization of Rehabilitation of Built Heritage. In particular, it will acquire European-level skills to: diagnose, plan design, conservation design, manage conservation projects, planning, coordinate, rehabilitate and conserve buildings in Rehabilitation works. In addition, they must be able to practice the profession with the ability to understand the economic, industrial, commercial, social, cultural and professional environment in which the Engineering acts are carried out, as well as skills for teamwork, leadership / management teams and entrepreneurship. The training given will allow the masters to integrate or create Conservation and Rehabilitation Companies, Heritage Management Companies, Design conservation companies, Civil Construction Companies linked to heritage intervention works and integrate Regional Culture Directorates, Municipalities, Design Companies, Companies related to the national sector, regional authority’s conservation offices and other public or private bodies.
The course draws on the research knowledge and learning objectives are related to the fact that the intervention in Heritage are a multidisciplinary approach and therefore the masters in Heritage Rehabilitation will have unique skills for the coordination of teams, interconnecting the various areas participating in this type of intervention. They will be competent to: inventory assets; define intervention strategies in heritage; ensure the technical direction of conservation and rehabilitation works; integrate teams of rehabilitation projects, namely in the elaboration of specifications, execution rules and specification of materials that must be used in the rehabilitation works so that the interventions meet the requirements of compatibility and respect for the testimony of the past; integrate inspection teams to organize, program and intervene in heritage; to integrate; as middle and upper management staff, cultural institutions and areas of culture and planning. The strong component of design and conservation practice through integration of technical visits to rehabilitation works in progress, existing throughout all semesters of the course, allows the student to achieve the intended objectives in an integrated and society-oriented way.
- Licenciatura level degree, or legal equivalent in Built Heritage Conservation, Civil Engineering, Architecture and related areas.
- Foreign higher education degree in Built Heritage Conservation, Civil Engineering, Architecture and related areas awarded on completion of a 1st cycle study program organised in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process.
- Foreign higher education degree in Built Heritage Conservation, Civil Engineering, Architecture and related areas. recognised as satisfying the objectives of the licenciatura degree by the scientifically and statutorily competent body.
- The Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro may admit applicants proposed by the Director of the Study Cycle who do not meet the conditions specified above but whose academic, scientific or professional curriculum reveal an adequate preparation for frequenting the Masters program, in accordance with Article 17, Nº 1, d), Decree Law nº 74/2006, as expressed in DL nº 65/2018 of 16 August, and Article 47, Nº 1, d) of the Study Regulations of the University of Aveiro.
- That which is indicated in points 2 to 4 is valid only for entry to the study cycle and does not confer any formal recognition of this degree on the holder of the qualification.
- Students enrolled in the 2019/2020 academic year in a cycle of University of Aveiro studies and who meet conditions for application in 2020/2021 may not apply for the same cycle of studies under the terms of this competition.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Criteria of Heritage Intervention
- Architectural & Structures and Construction History
- Analysis and Prevention of Risks in Buildings
- Repairs of Traditional Structures
- Design of Rehabilitation of Built Heritage 1
- Methodologies for Conservation of Built Heritage
- Repair of Reinforced Concrete Structures
- Energy and Water Efficiency and Compatibilization in Rehabilitation
- Legislation, Construction Management and Maintenance Plan
- Design of Rehabilitation of Built Heritage 2
- Management, Tourism, Real Estate and Heritage
- Digital Technologies Applied to Support Design Management
- Free option
- Dissertation / Project / Internaship
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Local/EU Students: 1000€ per year
- International/Non-EU Students: 5500€ per year
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Want to know more about Master in Built Heritage Conservation? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...