Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
The Master in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (MMASc) aims to train professionals able to integrate in their specific activities the multidisciplinary characteristics (chemical, physical, geological, biological and social) involved in marine and atmospheric processes.
The MMASc follows the global trend towards the holistic study of the climate system based on the Earth System models, to which are added the socio-economic components, management and governance to mitigate and adapt to climate change. Following this paradigm, the study plan consists of a set of mandatory courses, which offers a multidisciplinary training, and four optional courses which together with the theme of Thesis / Internship, allows todesign more specialized profiles in one of the following areas:
- marine resources;
- meteorology and physical oceanography;
- protection and management of coastal areas.
- Licenciatura level degree, or legal equivalent in Marine Sciences, Meteorology, Oceanography, Geophysics, Geological Engineering, Physics, Engineering Physics, Physics and Chemistry, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences and related fields.
- Foreign higher education degree in in one of the areas mentioned in 2.1, awarded on completion of a 1st cycle study programs organised in accordance with the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process.
- Foreign higher education degree in one of the areas mentioned in 2.1, recognised as satisfying the objectives of the licenciatura degree by the scientifically and statutorily competent body.
- The Scientific Council of the University of Aveiro may admit applicants proposed by the Director of the Study Cycle who do not meet the conditions specified above but whose academic, scientific or professional curriculum reveal an adequate preparation for frequenting the Masters programs, in accordance with Article 17, N.º 1, d), Decree Law n.º 74/2006, as expressed in DL n.º 65/2018 of 16 August, and Article 47, N.º 1, d) of the Study Regulations of the University of Aveiro.
- That which is indicated in points 2 to 4 is valid only for entry to the study cycle and does not confer any formal recognition of this degree on the holder of the qualification.
- Students enrolled in the 2019/2020 academic year in a cycle of University of Aveiro studies and who meet conditions for application in 2020/2021 may not apply for the same cycle o f studies under the terms of this competition.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Marine Meteorology
- Monitorization of Atmospheric and Marine Systems
- Coastal Oceanography
- Atmospheric and Marine Risks
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Geophysics Applied To Hydrocarbon Prospecting
- Hydromorphology of Coastal Margins
- Large-scale Atmospheric Circulation
- Structure And Functioning Of Marine Ecosystems
- Marine and Atmospheric Data Processing and Analysis
- Large Scale Oceanic Processes
- Global Climate System
- Aquaculture and Fisheries
- Environmental Management Systems
- Marine and Atmospheric Systems Modelling
- Processing Of Geophysical Data
- Marine and Coastal Management and Planning
- Mesoscale Meteorology
- Free Option
- Dissertation / Internship
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Local/EU Students: 1000€ per year
- International/Non-EU Students: 5500€ per year
Future graduates will be able to perform specialized tasks in multidisciplinary teams - identifying marine resources and proposing solutions for their sustainable use - working in the areas of meteorology and / or oceanography and research of climate change –characterizing risks and proposing technically and financially viable solutions in the framework of planning, management and rehabilitation of coastal and marine areas; They will also be able to develop critical thinking on problems and propose ethically responsible solutions to positively influence society and decision-makers.
Our Master’s programs in Marine and Atmospheric Sciences gives the basis to pursue both national and international PhD studies
The MMASc provides scientific and technical basis for a wide range of professional activities:
- Exploration and management of marine resources.
- Weather and climate forecasts
- Mapping and forecasting production from renewable energy sources
- Marine pollution control and analysis of water quality
- Protection and management of coastal areas
- Modelling of atmospheric and marine processes
- Climate research
In addition to expertise in the scientific areas of the master, graduates also gain transferable skills, particularly in data analysis and modelling, very appreciated in other activity sectors.
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Want to know more about Marine and Atmospheric Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain