Doctorate in Biology (Taught in English)Universidade de Aveiro
About this program
Doctorate in Biology (Taught in English)
The Doctoral Program in Biology has a duration of 4 years, corresponding to a total of 240 ECTS. The first year includes a curricular component (60 ECTS) structured in Advanced Courses, focused on various thematic areas of the scientific field of Biology (total of 24 ECTS), tutorial classes (20 ECTS), and the preparation of the thesis component (16 ECTS). At the end of the first year, the student will have to submit and publicly defend his doctoral workplan. A positive evaluation is required for their permanence in the doctoral program.
The remaining three years are full-time dedicated to the development of the research work leading to the submission of a thesis (corresponding to 60 ECTS each year), preparation of publications, thesis writing and defense of this evidence in public examination. The thesis must consist of original research in the scientific field of Biology at the choice of the student, within one of the subject areas offered under the Advanced Courses: Molecular Biology and Genetics; Cell Biology; Microbiology; Ecology, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management; Ecotoxicology and Environmental Biology; Marine Biology; Tropical Biology and Ecology; Cytogenetics and Aquatic Resources; Communication, Dissemination and Biological Illustration; Biology and Applied Biosciences.
The flexible organization of the curricular component of Advanced Courses modules allows the recognition of skills and knowledge gained in courses / training obtained in other Universities / Research Centers, national or foreign, provided that such training is recognized by the Coordinating Committee of the Doctoral Program.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Advanced Course in Biology and Applied Biosciences I
- Advanced Course in Biology and Tropical Ecology I
- Advanced Course in Cell Biology I
- Advanced Course in Communication, Distribution and Biological Illustration I
- Advanced Course in Ecology, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management I
- Advanced Course in Ecotoxicology and Environmental Biology I
- Advanced Course in Marine Biology I
- Advanced Course in Microbiology I
- Advanced Course in Molecular Biology and Genetics I
- Advanced Course in Wild Game and Aquaculture Resources I
- Advanced Course in Biology and Applied Biosciences II
- Advanced Course in Biology and Tropical Ecology II
- Advanced Course in Cell Biology II
- Advanced Course in Communication, Distribution and Biological Illustration II
- Advanced Course in Ecology, Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management II
- Advanced Course in Ecotoxicology and Environmental Biology II
- Advanced Course in Marine Biology II
- Advanced Course in Microbiology II
- Advanced Course in Molecular Biology and Genetics II
- Advanced Course in Wild Game and Aquaculture Resources II
Thesis (2nd year)
Thesis (3rd year)
Thesis (4th year)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Tuition fees 2022/2023: 2750€€/year
- International tuition fees 2022/2023: 2750€€ /year
The general objectives of the PhD program are to provide:
- A general understanding of the main branches of biology, and the ability to recognize their interactions.
- A high-quality training in a demanding yet supportive research environment, with the participation of scientists of international level.
- Training in advanced methods and techniques of analysis and applied research both in the field and laboratory.
- The development of the capacity to seek and interpret complex scientific information.
- The development of the ability to conduct original research and able to fulfill the process of peer review.
- The development of the ability to conceptualize, design, implement and manage scientific research.
- The development of the ability to interact with teams of interdisciplinary research in the identification and formulation of relevant scientific problems.
- The development of the ability to find funding for the implementation of scientific research.
- The development of the ability to present ideas and the scientific specialist and non-specialist audiences results.
- The acquisition of skills in entrepreneurship and self-employment area.
Message the school
About this institute
Universidade de Aveiro
Join an international community with people from 96 countries, studying, researching and living together in one of the cities with best quality of life in Portugal. Universidade de Aveiro is globally recognized by the quality of its teaching and researching...
Why study at Universidade de Aveiro
Why is Universidade de Aveiro the your next best step?
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here in Aveiro, you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, investigation methods and results and 20 research centers evaluated with incredible remark.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. Besides all the Intercultural events (more than 80 in 2019), you can count on a team fully dedicated to help you in any matters related to your studies and living abroad circumstances.
- Learn for the future: it is a modern university, with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge and to develop towards society.
- Academic support: Universidade de Aveiro offers to its international students’ programs that allow them to get familiar with Portuguese language or level their knowledge on core subjects like Mathematics.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills. Universidade de Aveiro also has cooperation agreements with hundreds of international institutions.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a low cost of life, capable of combining both amazing natural places, such as beaches, mountains and rivers and, at the same time, renowned innovation & tech events, projects and centers.
Universidade de Aveiro
Want to know more about Doctorate in Biology (Taught in English)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!