Biochemistry BScThe University of Sheffield
All available course dates
Explore the structure and function of biological systems at the molecular level on our three-year BSc. You'll study proteins, enzymes, hormones and receptors and learn about the various ways that biochemistry can be applied to major challenges affecting humanity today, from how we sustainably feed a global population to how new drugs are designed.
From your first year, you’ll study modules that span the molecular biosciences covering biochemistry, genetics, microbiology and molecular biology. Alongside these modules, you’ll have the freedom to explore complementary topics across the breadth of bioscience, such as biomedicine, plant science, evolution and conservation, so you’ll have the option to study biochemistry in greater depth, keep your interests broad or even switch to another degree programme within the biosciences.
No matter what modules you choose to study, you’ll gain experience that make our graduates attractive to employers, including project management, problem solving, communication skills and data analysis.
- The A Level entry requirements for this course are: AAB including Chemistry and another science
- A Levels + additional qualifications | ABB, including Chemistry and another science + B in a relevant EPQ; ABB, including Chemistry and another science + A in Core Maths
- International Baccalaureate | 34, with 6,5 in Higher Level Chemistry and another science
- BTEC | Interim-Reformed: DD in Applied Science + A Level grade A in a science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology, Physics, Psychology, Maths and Further Maths) + interview. Reformed: DDD in Applied Science, including modules in Applications of Inorganic Chemistry, Applications of Organic Chemistry and Practical Chemical Analysis and no more than one of the following: Forensic Evidence Collection and Analysis, Forensic Fire Investigation or Forensic Traffic Collision Investigation + interview
- Scottish Highers + 2 Advanced Highers | AAABB + AB, including Chemistry and another science
- Welsh Baccalaureate + 2 A Levels | B + AA, including Chemistry and another science
- Access to HE Diploma | 60 credits overall in a relevant subject with Distinctions in 36 Level 3 credits, including Chemistry and Biology units, plus Merits in 9 Level 3 credits. Applicants are also interviewed.
English language requirements
You must demonstrate that your English is good enough for you to successfully complete your course. For this course we require: GCSE English Language at grade 4/C; IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component; or an alternative acceptable English language qualification
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Biochemistry 1
- Molecular & Cell Biology
- Microbiology 1
- Genetics 1
- Skills in Molecular Bioscience
- Practical Molecular Bioscience 2
- Biochemistry 2
- Biostructures, Energetics and Synthesis
- Genes, Genomes and Chromosomes
- Literature Review
- Biochemistry Data Handling
2021-22 Annual tuition fee
- For Home students: £9,250
- For Overseas students: £24,450
A Levels AAB
As well as progressing onto a masters programme or PhD, our students secure roles in biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies like GSK, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Redx, the NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) and government bodies like Public Health England.
Our courses equip students for a wide range of careers, from scientific roles to graduate schemes with top employers. Whether you want to pursue a career in science, apply your skills in industry, or continue your studies, bioscience graduates are highly sought after due to their specialist laboratory skills, ability to solve problems, handle and analyse data, and effectively communicate complex ideas to a range of audiences.
As a world top 100 #University in a city like no other, at #Sheffield you'll receive an unrivaled learning #experience and memories that will last forever.
About this institute
The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is a leading research university with a global reputation for excellence. Ranked in the world's top 100 universities (QS World University Rankings 2021) and a member of the prestigious Russell Group, Sheffield offers a world-class education...
Why study at The University of Sheffield
Five reasons to study at Sheffield
We understand how important choosing the right university is for you and your future. That's why we've put together some information to help you decide whether Sheffield is right for you.
1. The Management School's reputation
Sheffield University Management School is one of the University’s largest departments. We are in the global elite of business schools, having achieved triple Crown accreditation from the three major international accreditation bodies – AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA. This is an endorsement of the outstanding quality of our programmes, research output, support for students and alumni, and links with the industry. As a student and graduate of our School, you will be associated with our global reputation for excellence.
2. You'll be taught by experts
Our staff are experts in their fields and many have extensive experience in the industry. We were ranked in the top 5 in the Russell Group for our research impact and 14th overall in the UK in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (2014), a periodic assessment of all university research in the UK. This gives you access to degrees that combine the real-world application with cutting-edge business thinking.
3. Excellent career prospects
Your employability is our priority from the moment you walk through our doors. And it shows, with 95% of graduates in work or further study six months after graduation. OurFutures Firstemployability offer to students includes career coaching, skills training, placements, and special events.
4. Learn in a supportive environment
We want our students to thrive. All of our students have access to a personal tutor throughout their time here, offering academic and pastoral care. Our Student Experience Office is a one-stop shop for all your enquiries and is open every weekday during the term.
5. Live in an exciting student-friendly city
University life is about more than just academic study. Your entire university experience shapes the person you become while you study here. When you study in Sheffieldyou study in a remarkable, affordable and safe city as part of a vibrant student community. Socialize and develop new hobbies and interests in the UK's number one students Union. University accommodation offers value for money and the chance to be part of one of the largest student communities in Sheffield. Take a 360° virtual tour of our student accommodation.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...