About this program
Comparative Look at Migration and Refugees Along the Mediterranean and US-Mexico Borderlands
Engage deeply with the histories and contemporary realities of migrant and refugee communities along the Mediterranean and US/Mexico Border corridors. This program will conduct a comparative analysis of migrant and refugee narratives in the Mediterranean sea corridor and migrant experiences (including experiences of undocumented migrants) at the US-Mexico Borderlands.
The course will ask questions like: What are the underlying reasons driving how and why states militarize borders? What strategies are used to deter migration in both sites? How do “threat narratives” shape the ways migrant and refugee communities are racialized/gendered in their “host” country?
- Meet Virtually with local NGOs, migrant collectives, and scholars from the Centro Internacional de Estudios Decoloniales (the International Center for Decolonial Studies)
- Engage with Augmented Reality and possibly Virtual Reality to experience the sites examined in the class.
- Learn how to create augmented reality research galleries and podcasts
- Learn basic proficiency in Augmented Reality applications and XD Adobe
- At least one year of college coursework completed by the start of the program
- 2.0 GPA or higher
- There are no prerequisites or restrictions for participation
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
All course content will be delivered online. Students must have access to a computer and reliable internet.
Total program fees (2021):
- UC students (5 units): $2,475
- UC students (6 units): $2,894
- Visiting students (5 units): $3,262
Message the school
About this institute
UC Berkeley Summer Sessions
Founded in the wake of the gold rush by leaders of the newly established 31st state, the University of California's flagship campus at Berkeley has become one of the preeminent universities in the world. UC Berkeley gradually established a distinguished...
Want to know more about Comparative Look at Migration and Refugees Along the Mediterranean and US-Mexico Borderlands? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!