MFA Songwriting, Production and Music BusinessThinkSpace Education
MFA Songwriting, Production and Music Business
All available course dates
About this program
MFA Songwriting, Production and Music Business
This course is an advanced, practice-based degree which combines professional, commercial, creative and technical skills with theoretical knowledge of business and management. For anyone planning a career in the music industry, whether as a creator, entrepreneur or in management, this course will give you the head start you need to find professional and personal success.
The programme team works closely with music industry bodies and practitioners at the highest level to ensure the currency and professional relevance of the programme of study. Students will become effective and multi-skilled songwriters and producers, capable of meeting complex musical and technical challenges whilst navigating an ever-evolving industry.
This MFA is a pathway under our new 'MFA Creative Industries' bracketed award, and covers the skills taught in both our MA Songwriting and Music Production and MA International Music Business degree courses.
- Taught by world-class industry professionals
- Personalised learning journey tailored to your needs
- Support for genres from hip hop to metal, EDM to pop
- Business analysis and strategy
- Marketing and promotions
- Collaborate remotely with a global student community
As this is an MFA, the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) route does not apply. You will need an undergraduate degree to study on this course.
If you do not have an undergraduate degree, but would still like to study on this course, get in touch with us. In some cases it is possible to navigate around this requirement but we would need to speak to you directly.
We expect you to have a competent knowledge of one digital audio workstation. You need to write music fluently and productively. You should be able to produce roughly two minutes of music in a day. Your demos should be of good quality and we are happy to listen to your music and give you an opinion on this before you apply. A high level of music theory is a big advantage but we appreciate people come from different backgrounds and strong music theory is not always required to write a great piece of music. You will be judged principally on the potential shown in your portfolio.
We also expect students to have strong written and communication skills. This will be assessed during the application processes when we review how you get on with the written Application Task (see the 'Postgraduate Application Pack' for more information).
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Students will complete these core modules:
- Songwriting and Composition: New Horizons
- Music Production: Sound and Texture
- Mixing, Mastering and Collaboration
- Music Industry in Context
- Copyright, Contracts and Negotiation
- Making Money
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Final Major Project or Dissertation
For the Elective modules, students will choose from:
- EDM and Remix Masterclass
- Lyric Writing Masterclass
- Hip Hop and RnB Masterclass
- Rock and Metal Masterclass
- Country Music Masterclass
- Adventures in Experimental Music
- Contemporary Music in Context
- Digital Marketing
- Sync Licensing and Music Supervision
- Artist Management
- Advanced Music Promotion
- Creative Career Development
Scholarships & funding
Please check the institute website for more information.
We offer 3 different schedules, and students are able to pick which suits them best.
- Full Time - 24 Months (30 hours/week)
- Part Time - 36 Months (15 hours/week)
- Part Time - 48 Months (8 hours/week)
These are estimates of the time a student will spend on each schedule. It will vary from student to student, depending on your rate of work. This includes live workshops, one-to-one tutorials, reading and watching the course materials, and time spent on assignment projects.
Tuition fee: £13750
PLEASE NOTE: All currencies are quoted in GBP, but we invoice all of our students through the payment provider 'Flywire'. This allows you to pay your course fee in your home currency.
You will pay whatever the exchange rate is between your currency and the GBP fee.
What You'll Learn
- Study with world-class professionals musicians, producers, songwriters, and business leaders and raise your music and business skills to a completely new level.
- Learn to innovate, reinvent yourself, update not just your sound but your whole your outlook on music.
- Level up the skills that are letting you down, mixing and mastering, melodic writing, vocal production, DAW workflow whatever it might be.
- Reflect and refresh we will help you discover the cycle of constant renewal that drives most of the best in the business.
- Create your own path Learn from leading music business experts to start your own musical enterprises, build management careers, and much more.
- Learn to Work Remotely and Collaborate with fellow students and musicians from 30 countries.
Message the school
About this institute
ThinkSpace Education is an online provider of postgraduate degree courses for those looking to develop careers in the music and creative industries. With a 95% graduation rate, we know how to deliver innovative and engaging online education with exceptional professional...
Why study at ThinkSpace Education
Studying at ThinkSpace Education gives you the flexibility to pursue career goals and keep up with family life whilst gaining a postgraduate degree. As many of you may be looking to develop freelance careers alongside, or after, your studies anyway, this is great practice for working in your own space and being responsible for your own deadlines.
The tutors we have at ThinkSpace Education are truly some of the best from around the world. We are not limited to the expertise of those around a local campus, so we have recruited some of the best musicians, sound designers, orchestrators, and industry pros from all over the UK, USA, and Europe. Our tutors truly come from all areas of the music industry and no matter what you want to focus on there is likely a tutor who can help you achieve that goal.
We don't leave you totally to your own devices, and we do regularly interact with and check-up on our students as part of their studies, but the skills needed to study online are very similar to those you need to develop your own careers in the music industry.
Want to know more about MFA Songwriting, Production and Music Business? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America