MA Songwriting and Music ProductionThinkSpace Education
MA Songwriting and Music Production
All available course dates
About this program
MA Songwriting and Music Production
Our innovative new online masters in songwriting and music production will bring out the best in you as a contemporary artist, and help you keep reinventing your musical approach long after you've graduated.
MA Songwriting and Music Production covers core topics such as music production skills, songwriting and composition, music in context, and elective modules that will give you key lyric writing tips and training as well as a vast collection of genre specific tutorials.
Tailor the course to your needs as an artist, define your own pathway, and finish your studies primed to launch your own career in songwriting and music production.
You can choose one of three course formats from the short Postgraduate Certificate up to the full Master Degree.
- Taught by world-class industry professionals
- Personalised learning journey tailored to your needs
- Support for genres from hip hop to metal, EDM to pop
- Work on challenging project work
- Collaborate remotely with a global student community
Ideally, applicants will have an undergraduate degree in music. However, there is an option for those who do not have a degree, taking into account real-world work experience of making music, and non-degree professional development courses. This Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), as it’s known, is always assessed on a case-by-case basis. It also depends on how many other students are using this route during this stage of applications, as there is a maximum percentage of students we can take through this process.
We expect you to have a competent knowledge of one digital audio workstation. You need to write music fluently and productively. Your demos should be of good quality and we are happy to listen to your music and give you an opinion on this before you apply. A high level of music theory is a big advantage but we appreciate there are many different ways to create a great piece and you will be judged principally on the potential shown in your portfolio.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core modules on this course include:
- Songwriting and Composition: New Horizons
- Music Production: Sound and Texture
- Mixing, Mastering and Collaboration
- Music in Context
- Elective 1*
- Elective 2*
- Final Major Project or Dissertation
For both Elective modules, you will select one of:
- EDM and Remix Masterclass
- Lyric Writing Masterclass
- Hip Hop and RnB Masterclass
- Rock and Metal Masterclass
- Country Music Masterclass
- Adventures in Experimental Music
- Music for Worship
- Advanced Music Promotion
- Making Money from Music
Scholarships & funding
Please check the institute website for more information.
We offer 3 different schedules for the postgraduate degree, and students are able to pick which suits them best. Part time schedules are also available for PgCert and PGDip.
- Full Time - 12 Months (30 hours/week)
- Part Time - 24 Months (15 hours/week)
- Part Time - 36 Months (8 hours/week)
These are estimates of the time a student will spend on each schedule. It will vary from student to student, depending on your rate of work. This includes live workshops, one-to-one tutorials, reading and watching the course materials, and time spent on assignment projects.
Tuition fee: £9750
PLEASE NOTE: All currencies are quoted in GBP, but we invoice all of our students through the payment provider 'Flywire'. This allows you to pay your course fee in your home currency.
You will pay whatever the exchange rate is between your currency and the GBP fee.
What You'll Learn
- Study with world-class professionals musicians, producers, artists and songwriters and raise your music to a completely new level.
- Learn to innovate, reinvent yourself, update not just your sound but your whole your outlook on music.
- Level up the skills that are letting you down, mixing and mastering, melodic writing, vocal production, DAW workflow whatever it might be.
- Reflect and refresh we will help you discover the cycle of constant renewal that drives most of the best in the business.
- Promote yourself learn from insiders how to get your music heard, how to use social media to reach a new audience.
- Learn to Work Remotely and Collaborate with fellow students and musicians from 30 countries.
After Graduation... What Now?
- As a graduate, the cycle of reflect and refresh now well established, you will continue to innovate and improve your music. With a trusted band of fellow graduates, you have a community whose opinion you value and hopefully, some lifelong friends.
- ThinkSpace is here to support your onward journey with regular pitching workshops for alumni to help develop your career.
- You will continue to have access, not just to your own course materials, but every other degree and short course ThinkSpace produce in the future.
Message the school
About this institute
ThinkSpace Education is an online provider of postgraduate degree courses for those looking to develop careers in the music and creative industries. With a 95% graduation rate, we know how to deliver innovative and engaging online education with exceptional professional...
Why study at ThinkSpace Education
Studying at ThinkSpace Education gives you the flexibility to pursue career goals and keep up with family life whilst gaining a postgraduate degree. As many of you may be looking to develop freelance careers alongside, or after, your studies anyway, this is great practice for working in your own space and being responsible for your own deadlines.
The tutors we have at ThinkSpace Education are truly some of the best from around the world. We are not limited to the expertise of those around a local campus, so we have recruited some of the best musicians, sound designers, orchestrators, and industry pros from all over the UK, USA, and Europe. Our tutors truly come from all areas of the music industry and no matter what you want to focus on there is likely a tutor who can help you achieve that goal.
We don't leave you totally to your own devices, and we do regularly interact with and check-up on our students as part of their studies, but the skills needed to study online are very similar to those you need to develop your own careers in the music industry.
Want to know more about MA Songwriting and Music Production? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate