MA International Music BusinessThinkSpace Education
MA International Music Business
All available course dates
MA International Music Business
Our master in music business is a springboard to a successful career in the music industry. Whether you are looking to build a management career, start a music business or simply want to find out how to get a job in the music business, this innovative online master degree will change your outlook and give you the knowledge and skills to succeed.
You will be taught by top music industry professionals actively working at the cutting edge of the business. From A&R to music publishing, sync licensing to artists management, what you learn will give you a competitive advantage in music industry management.
- Specialist technical and professional music industry knowledge
- Music marketing, promotion, and analytics for 2022
- Advanced business and management theory for the creative industries
- The ins and outs of copyright, contracts, royalties, licensing, etc.
- Practical projects and negotiation skills
- How to think analytically, act strategically, see things differently
Ideally, applicants will have an undergraduate degree either in business-related studies, or music or audio. However, there is an option for those who do not have a degree, taking into account real-world work experience of creating music, working in professional creative environments, or non-degree professional development courses. This Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), as it is known, is always assessed on a case-by-case basis. It also depends on how many other students are using this route during this stage of applications, as there is a maximum percentage of students we can take through this process.
In every module of this course you will be expected to do research and complete some form of written assessment component for each assignment. We expect our applicants to demonstrate good communication skills during their application, as this is a focus of the course.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
All students will first complete 3 core modules:
- Music Industry in Context
- Copyright and Contracts
- Making Money
Those on the PGDip and full MA programs will choose three modules from these Electives:
- Sync Licensing and Music Supervision
- Artist Management
- Digital Marketing
- Advanced Music Marketing and Promotion
- Career Development
MA students will then finish with either a Final Major Project or Dissertation.
Scholarships & funding
Please check the institute website for more information.
We offer 3 different schedules for the postgraduate degree, and students are able to pick which suits them best. Part time schedules are also available for PgCert and PGDip.
- Full Time - 12 Months (30 hours/week)
- Part Time - 24 Months (15 hours/week)
- Part Time - 36 Months (8 hours/week)
These are estimates of the time a student will spend on each schedule. It will vary from student to student, depending on your rate of work. This includes live workshops, one-to-one tutorials, reading and watching the course materials, and time spent on assignment projects.
Tuition fee: £9750
PLEASE NOTE: All currencies are quoted in GBP, but we invoice all of our students through the payment provider 'Flywire'. This allows you to pay your course fee in your home currency.
You will pay whatever the exchange rate is between your currency and the GBP fee.
You can choose one of three course formats from the short Postgraduate Certificate up to the full Masters Degree.
- Master of Arts 180 credits 12 months full time
- Postgraduate Diploma 120 credits 9 months full time
- Postgraduate Certificate 60 credits 4 months full time
If you want more information about these types of study, reach out to the institution directly.
Careers & Skills
The powerful combination of state-of-the-industry inside knowledge and a strong theoretical basis in management and business can lead to a successful career, either by starting your own music business or by climbing the management ladder in the wider music industry.
All students will come away with a detailed knowledge of copyright, contracts, and the royalty system, which is the foundation of much of the industry. This kind of up-to-date information is surprisingly hard to come by, and this will by itself give all our graduates a competitive advantage in any music industry job interview. Alongside the confidence you will have from knowing exactly how the industry really works, understanding and being familiar with the language and way of thinking, you will stand out from the crowd and be in a much stronger position than other applicants.
Subject specific knowledge of things like digital music marketing, social media and promotion will lead directly to any number of careers in the music industry, such as marketing and promotions executive. Other possibilities like artist management and sync licencing are both new and fertile areas of employment to start a new business.
Management and Business Theory
- Combine all these practical and professional insights with strong theoretical knowledge and you are in a very strong position. A master degree is an advanced academic qualification. Management theory will give you a framework to build and test your ideas from strategic management and data analytics to leadership and business planning. You will have the strategic vision maximise your potential and rise to the top, whether that starting your own business or running a larger organisation.
- This master degree in music management and business prepares students for a career in the music industry, whether you want to work in management, a performing rights organisation, or as an entrepreneur starting a music business including marketing and promotion, artist management or licencing. This course will give you the professional knowledge and advanced business and management perspective to achieve your career goals.
About this institute
ThinkSpace Education is an online provider of postgraduate degree courses for those looking to develop careers in the music and creative industries. With a 95% graduation rate, we know how to deliver innovative and engaging online education with exceptional professional...
Why study at ThinkSpace Education
Studying at ThinkSpace Education gives you the flexibility to pursue career goals and keep up with family life whilst gaining a postgraduate degree. As many of you may be looking to develop freelance careers alongside, or after, your studies anyway, this is great practice for working in your own space and being responsible for your own deadlines.
The tutors we have at ThinkSpace Education are truly some of the best from around the world. We are not limited to the expertise of those around a local campus, so we have recruited some of the best musicians, sound designers, orchestrators, and industry pros from all over the UK, USA, and Europe. Our tutors truly come from all areas of the music industry and no matter what you want to focus on there is likely a tutor who can help you achieve that goal.
We don't leave you totally to your own devices, and we do regularly interact with and check-up on our students as part of their studies, but the skills needed to study online are very similar to those you need to develop your own careers in the music industry.
Want to know more about MA International Music Business? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...