About this program
Bachelor of Consumer Science
Natural Sciences Our expertise in the Natural Sciences includes Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics, Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering Sciences, Geography, Geology, Biological Sciences, Computer Science and Informatics, and Consumer Science.
Consumer Science is the study of people’s needs regarding housing, clothing and food, and the management of resources to satisfy these needs. After completion of this program, the BConsSc student will be capable of following a career as a consumer scientist, e.g. consumer consultant, designer, buyer, marketer, or quality-control inspector of consumer products. The student should also be capable of advising consumers on the management of time, energy, and other resources. The major subjects are Foods, Consumer Science, and Textiles. After completion of the BSc Consumer Science program, the student will be able to follow a career in the food industry. The major subjects are Foods and Food Science. Learning programs in the Consumer Science field of interest offer one option.
- The UFS reserves the right to change the minimum requirements of each program or any other information without notifying you.
- There are specific admission requirements that you should meet if you want to study at any South African university. If you finished school in or after 2008 and have a National Senior Certificate (NSC), you need a performance level of at least 4 (50%) in four (4) of the seven (7) subjects included in your NSC subject package.
- Admission to study at the UFS is furthermore dependent on the following:
- Your application should meet all the minimum requirements for the program
- The program must have available space and capacity to admit students
- You have to submit valid school results with your application
- All admission requirements apply to first-year students in 2021.
- A minimum admission point (AP) of 32 is required, unless stated otherwise.
- Language of instruction on level 4 (50%).
- A minimum performance level of 5 (60%) in Mathematics. Depending on the program you are interested in, a higher performance level in Mathematics will be required.
- Both Life Sciences and Physical Science will be required for admission to most BSc programs; however, there are programs where you require either Life Sciences or Physical Science. Consult the Faculty Rulebook for more information.
- Participation in the NBT tests for Language and Mathematics is required.
- The admission requirements are a broad indication for entrance into the Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences. Make sure you know the admission requirements of the program you are interested in.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Consumer consultant, designer, buyer, marketer or quality controller of consumer and food products, product developer, quality controller, consultant or researcher in the food industry.
About this institute
The University of the Free State
The University of the Free State is situated in Bloemfontein – the centre of South Africa. Bloemfontein serves as the capital of the Free State Province as well as the. Judicial Capital of South Africa. This beautiful city is also...
Be the first to write a review!