The University of Queensland
The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of Australia’s leading research and teaching institutions. We strive for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge. For more than a century, we have educated and worked with outstanding people to deliver knowledge leadership for a better world.
UQ has a strong focus onteaching excellence, having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) than any other in the country and attracting the majority of Queensland's highest academic achievers, as well as top interstate and overseas students.
The Student Employability Centreprovides students with opportunities, choices and support that will enable them to achieve their individual aspirations, to become leaders in their chosen fields and to positively impact on the society in which they live. In addition to flexibility in program choice, students can enjoy a wide range of activities during their studies, including global experiences, participating in conferences and research opportunities, accessing more than 220 clubs and societies, and making use of a wide range of sporting and cultural facilities.
In 2019, the University had more than 55,300 students including 16,000 international students from 134 countries. UQ’s more than 18,600 postgraduate students include one of Australia's largest PhD cohorts, celebrating its 15,400th PhD graduation in 2020.
UQ is continually discovering and practising innovative approaches to fostering student retention and employability. We work towards achieving our strategic objectives by partnering with students to develop new initiatives to enhance the student experience.
We are committed to excellence in learning experiences and outcomes for our students.
Why study at The University of Queensland
- Top 50 world wide – QS World University Rankings 2010
- Top 1% worldwide – Times Higher Education University Rankings 2011
- Above world standard in more fields of research than any other Australian university – Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) assessment 2010
- Placed 11th in the Asia Pacific and 108th worldwide in the 2010 Shanghai Jiao Tong University Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Winner of more national teaching awards than any other Australian university. UQ teachers have a 100 percent success rate in the Carrick Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, which recognise teaching excellence in higher education.
- Founding member of the national Group of Eight, an alliance of research intensive universities that ensure Australia has higher education institutions that are genuinely world class.
- Member of the global Universitas 21, an alliance that enhances the quality of university outcomes through international benchmarking and produces strong global citizens as a result of student mobility experiences.
- Comprehensive range of high quality undergraduate and postgraduate programs with over 350 programs and 4000 courses available.
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Situated on 114 hectares of Brisbane River-bound land, UQ’s main campus is a vibrant mix of majestic sandstone buildings and contemporary architecture, landscaped gardens and lakes. The St Lucia campus is only seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, making it an appealing place to study, work or visit.
Gatton, UQ’s rural campus, is located in the Lockyer Valley, 87 kilometres west of Brisbane’s city centre, and halfway between Ipswich and Toowoomba.
Located just minutes from the Brisbane CBD, Herston is home to UQ’s Medicine and Public Health schools, the UQ Centre for Clinical Research, Oral Health Centre, and the research activities of the School of Nursing and Midwifery.
Your UQLife is more than just study. It encompasses a range of events, experiences and programs to keep you engaged, motivated and connected. Immerse yourself in O-Week, BLOOM Festival, UQ Theatre Festival, NAIDOC Festival and more. With events weekly, there is something for everyone.
We will ensure that our community can still come together on campus and online, as our global and UQ community continue to meet the challenges that COVID-19 poses.
This site has lots of information and links to the various resources and activities that you can participate in, regardless of whether you are able to come to campus.
Welcome to a truly immersive university experience. Join us on campus and connect to a community that centres around you and your education.
Living in a UQ college also means access to:
- a welcoming, collegial community
- 24/7 onsite staff support and pastoral care
- well established academic communities and alumni networks
- inter-college sporting, cultural, community and social activities
- outstanding leadership, career mentoring and wellbeing programs.
With their unique and historical connection to the university, UQ colleges have an ideal on-campus home for everyone.
Be the first to write a review!