PGCert Medical and Health Education (Online Course)The University of Manchester
About this program
PGCert Medical and Health Education (Online Course)
Our course is aimed at those who support learners (either in the workplace or another learning environment) and want to further develop their teaching skills through a course with a strong emphasis on professional practice. This course will give you the skills and knowledge to become a world-class educator in medical and health education, educating learners who will go on to meet the health and social care needs of the most vulnerable people in our society.
Inter-professional learning is central to the ethos of the course and provides the added value of learning alongside colleagues from other disciplines. You will benefit from the wisdom and experience of your peers, as well as the expertise offered by healthcare teaching professionals.
Our course is suitable for those new to medical and health education as well as those with considerable experience. Most clinicians, medical researchers and health and social care professionals engage in some form of teaching, whether this is in acute clinical areas, laboratories, clinics or community settings-teaching undergraduate students and/or trainees. However, few have had the opportunity for professional development in teaching.
We require you to hold either:
a primary medical degree or other registered health care/social work professional qualification
an Upper Second class degree (or overseas equivalent) in a subject allied to medical or health education, such as biosciences, psychology or physician associate studies.
Non-standard applicants for the course from other experienced healthcare professionals / educators who have significant relevant professional experience and/or where the academic qualification falls below an Upper Second class degree will be considered on an individual basis, and may be admitted, at the discretion of the Course Director.
International students must demonstrate English proficiency through a secure and approved testing system. We ask for English language proof if you are from non-majority English speaking countries
Specifically, we require a minimum of:
- IELTS : 6.5 overall (and a minimum of 6 for writing) or equivalent
- TOEFL: 90 internet-based (with 25 in each component)
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for all experienced clinicians, including medical doctors, dentists, nurses and all other allied health professionals involved in teaching, learning or assessment in the workplace, whether formal or informal.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Pass or fail - who decides?
- The Art & Science of Teaching
- The Reflective Educator
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Online learning - 80 hours
- Tutor and Peer led discussion - 30 hours
- Online tutorials - 10 hours
- Independent reading and study - 80 hours
Please visit the university's website for more information about tuition fees.
You will learn how to:
- Apply evidence and theoretical principles to your individual teaching practice;
- Work with peers across disciplines to compare experiences and evaluate how different approaches can enhance learning;
- Reflect on your practice, and what is needed to effectively contribute to teaching and learning in various settings;
- Consider the influence of meaningful assessment on learning.
- You'll build the professional confidence and the recognition to effectively facilitate teaching and learning within a variety of settings.
- As a recognised postgraduate qualification, this PGCert reflects the teaching competencies set out by relevant professional bodies, giving you a unique opportunity to broaden your role and apply your educational know-how in the workplace.
This course prepares medical and other health care professionals to facilitate teaching and learning within a variety of settings (including practice and higher education Institutions).
It is suitable for all experienced clinicians and qualified practitioners from all healthcare disciplines who teach, support learning and are involved in assessment processes, whether formal or informal.
The course is a recognised post graduate qualification which maps well to the teaching competencies required by various professional bodies (GDC, HCPC, GMC, NMC, HEA) , though the requirements (and qualifications) demanded at various employing institutions might vary depending upon their own policies and recruitment criteria.
About this institute
The University of Manchester
Part of the prestigious Russell Group of universities, The University of Manchester is recognised across the globe for its research and teaching quality, covering undergraduate and postgraduates programs, as well as specially designed online and blended learning courses to allow...
Why study at The University of Manchester
- Leading International University, ranked 6th in the UK and 27th globally
- Applied & practice-based learning, taking new skills into the workplace immediately
- Meet with global experts & build your professional network
Be the first to write a review!