Playwriting: Intermediate (Online)The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
About this program
Playwriting: Intermediate (Online)
Meeting once a week for eight weeks, this intermediate level playwriting course is an exciting opportunity to work with an established playwright to develop writing your play in more detail.
By the end of the course you will have: the tools you need to complete your play; tested and redrafted the structure of your plot; a developed breakdown of your characters’ story arc and conflicts they meet; and a fully written and analysed sequence of key scenes. You will also be introduced to the skills involved in redrafting your script and working with notes.
If you go on to complete your play in your own time once the course has been completed, for an additional fee, you can submit your completed play to the tutor for written feedback.
The course is led by a contemporary playwright.
Applicants must be confident speaking and reading English to a conversational level (IELTS score of 7.0 or equivalent). You may be expected to read texts/scripts that have advanced vocabulary.
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who has written the first scene of a play on Central’s Playwriting: An Introduction online course who would like to develop their play further
- Anyone who has completed an introductory level course elsewhere and already has a partially completed play or detailed treatment that they would like to flesh out further
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- expanding your initial scene or treatment to several key scenes or more
- developing scenes with more than two characters and creating complex
- interactions and relationships
- challenging yourself to go bigger and be more ambitious in your writing - thinking beyond everyday lived experience towards exploring the greater and more expressive possibilities of theatre
- moving from cliché towards subtlety & nuance thus creating credibility in character, dialogue and story
- developing, redrafting and deepening your original idea, characterisations and character arcs
- exploring the structure of your play scene by scene for maximum effect
- crafting your unique voice as a writer
- organising your own readings, workshops and feedback sessions in the future
- how to submit work to theatre companies, agents and publishers
All of the Online Short Courses take place using Zoom. You will need to have access to a quiet room with no other people present, and space to move around to take part in this course.
Cost of tuition: £250
Message the school
About this institute
The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama is a small specialist institution of the theatrical and performing arts within the University of London. With a long history of educating and training leading practitioners and have extensive connections across the...
Want to know more about Playwriting: Intermediate (Online)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!