MSc in Plant Sciences
The achievements of Israeli agriculture are renown worldwide. At its inception, the country was largely arid, rocky, and overgrown with weeds, bare mountains, barren fields, infested marshes, and an undeveloped water supply. Some of the most basic foods were imported. Today, Israel is a fertile and blooming land that exports its own agricultural products and has become a leader in irrigation systems, groundwater management, crop production, horticulture, biotechnology, biological and integrated pest control, and more. Israel's agriculture is a showcase demonstrating the ability to work with nature in order to create a friendlier environment.
One of the key factors in Israel's agricultural success has been the close relationship between growers in the fields, research and development teams in industry, and the academic community. Constant mutual feedback makes research more responsive to real-life needs and gives those in the field the advantage of immediate access to new developments in the laboratories of academic institutions.
- B.Sc. degree or equivalent from a recognized university in the field of agriculture, plant sciences, crop sciences, plant production, plant protection, agronomy, horticulture, etc.
- Undergraduate level biochemistry.
- GPA of 80 or above (B- on the letter scale).
- High level of proficiency in all English skills, documented by one of the following:
- At least 89 on the TOEFL internet-based test
- At least 6.0 on the IELTS
- Documentation of previous academic studies conducted in English.
- Three letters of recommendation; at least one must be academic (not from family members).
- Relevant experience is recommended but not mandatory.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Plant Biochemistry
- Biotechnology for Agricultural Crops
- Introduction to Molecular Biology
- Contemporary Approaches to Plant Physiology
- Biotechnology for Agricultural Crops
- Practical Workshop in Crop Management (two semesters)
- Basic Irrigation Systems
- Experimental Design and Statistical Analyses + Practice
- Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants
- Integrated Pest Management
- Scientific Writing and Presentation
- Research Methods (three semesters)
- Biological Control of Agricultural Pests
- Weed Management
- Principles of Plant Breeding
- Current Greenhouse Crop Production
- Post-Harvest Biology and Technology
- Advances in Vegetable Production
- Environmental Microbiology
- Seed Production
- DNA Markers for Genetic Analysis and Breeding
- Reproductive Biology of Fruit Crops Crop
- Physiology and Production
- Research Exercise
- Oral Seminars
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available; please visit the website for more information.
- International students: $10,500 per year (approx.)
- Israeli students/Olim hadashim: $8,400 per year (approx.)
- Learn the fundamentals of plant sciences based on the most recent scientific findings.
- Benefit from the experience of leading scientists in plant sciences.
- Take part in innovative, groundbreaking research in the lab.
- Learn from the know-how of Israel’s year-round sustainable agriculture.
- Acquire practical knowledge and hands-on experience.
- Understand the principles of crop plant production, environmental impact of agricultural activity, and analysis of cropping systems, while seeking solutions to practical problems.
- Enjoy an international atmosphere, site visits, field trips and cultural events.
About this institute
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, founded in 1918 and opened officially in 1925, is Israel’s premier university as well as its leading research institution. The Hebrew University is ranked internationally among the 100 leading universities in the world and first...
Want to know more about MSc in Plant Sciences? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...