Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
BA in Authorial Acting
Authorial Acting students are guided towards becoming creative personalities – capable of making and standing by their own authorial solo and group work based on their own personal themes. Students grow psychosomatically and gain experience in key areas of human expression: voice, speech, movement, acting, authorial reading, and Dialogical Acting with the Inner Partner, but also in philosophy, psychology and theatre history. Studies take the form of weekly studio and lecture classes supplemented with intensive workshops with accomplished pedagogues, theoreticians, performers and authors.
The Authorial Acting Program focuses on practical and theoretical explorations of the following questions:
- What are authorship and creativity and what does it mean to be an author, a creator?
- How does one discover and cultivate personal themes?
- How can I / we share these themes in a performance situation, with the self fully and authentically present?
- What sort of psychosomatic fitness does that require – and how can I study and develop it?
- What is the social, political, and pedagogical significance of our work?
Students pursue multidisciplinary studies, both practical and theoretical, rooted in a psychosomatic (psycho-physical) understanding of the individual (e.g., Stanislavski, M. Chekhov, Brook, Donnellan, Vyskočil, Zarrilli) and a philosophical foundation stemming from humanism, personalism, and the dialogical self (e.g., Buber, Frankl, Fromm, Herman's).
We accept students from various fields and no previous experience in the theatrical or performative field is required. We cherish individuality and respect different needs and interests of our students. In other words, whether you are interested in theatre or want to improve your skills or awareness as a human being through self-exploration and through performative disciplines, this is the right place for you.
Because the goal of the Program is to cultivate a self-confident, creative personality, the graduates profiles and employment can be - and tend to be - very diverse. Most commonly, graduates apply their skills in so-called assisting and pedagogical professions of variegated fields, but also as authors of their own projects of a theatrical, visual, literary or other nature, or work in the media (moderators, script writers, TV/radio etc.).
Good physical and mental aptitudes, talent and personality capable of cultivation and further development. Need and ability to learn, to study and to participate in the curriculum and group/individual work. Active knowledge of English is required. The auditions consist particularly of assessing the aptitudes of personality and talent (discipline of movement, voice, speech, acting) and an interview (motivation, orientation in culture, art, philosophy, current affairs and basic knowledge about our department). As part of the admission proces, the applicant sends his/her own authorial texts.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT regarding April and June auditions to the Authorial Acting Programme: due to the Corona virus spread situation we are postponing the April and June auditions. We wish all good health!
* Students only attend one audition but can choose between three possible dates.
- 1st round is 13. 2. 2020 (deadline of application is 7. 2)
- 2nd round is 19. 6. 2020 via Skype (deadline of applications is 15. 6.)
- 3rd round is 6. 8. 2020 via Skype (deadline of application is 3. 8.)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Authorial Presentation (transforming personal themes into stage pictures)
- Authorial Reading (students write and read their texts in front of an audience to get feedback)
- Dialogical Acting with the Inner Partner (pivotal discipline, originally from our Department)
- Acting Propaedeutic Based on Dialogical Acting
- Individual and group Voice Classes
- Interpretation Seminar (analysis of dramatic texts from Shakespeare to modern drama)
- Bachelor Project Preparatory Course
- Highlights of Czech Theatre (introduction to history of Czech theatre and
- contemporary trends, seminars and organized theatre events)
- Classes of Movement Education (awareness in movement, foundational psychosomatics, movement theatre principles, contemporary techniques)
- Speech Propaedeutic (speech as active communication)
- Singing (interpretation of songs)
- Classes are supplemented by workshops with guest pedagogues and theatre makers
- Introduction to Authorial Acting (key principles and approaches)
- Introduction to Psychology and Philosophy (as they relate to authorial creation, individuality and the concept of play)
Full tuition fee for EU students and Non-EU students is 8500/year
Scholarships & funding
At the moment we are not able to provide scholarship to students.
About this institute
The Academy Of Performing Arts In Prague
Studies at the Department of Authorial Creativity and Pedagogy are focused on psychosomatically oriented approach to dramatic culture and creation, to authorship and concept of play. The key disciplines are Dialogical Acting with the Inner Partner, Authorial Reading and Authorial...
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews
Want to know more about BA in Authorial Acting? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Alliance, United States of America