The doctoral program in material engineering is focused on independent scientific and research projects in the field of materials. Its aim is to produce highly-educated and creative graduates capable of conducting scientific research in material engineering.
PhD candidates will refine their knowledge of mathematics, physics and applied sciences in the theoretical foundation of material engineering. Students will have the ability to formulate solutions in the fields of research into new materials, their properties and potential optimal uses for both metallic and non-metallic applications.
Graduates of this PhD program will have mastered the skills and the high level of theoretical knowledge for solving specific problems related to:
- New materials: new metallic materials and inter-metallic compounds, ceramic materials, composite materials with polymeric matrix, surface finishes of materials and testing of properties of materials
- Mechanics, rheology and thermodynamics of polymers: study of mechanical properties of polymers in the solid phase, study of rheological behavior of polymer melts and mixtures with the goal of achieving the required molecular structure and the required physical and chemical properties in the solid phase, study of thermal and other characteristics of polymers
- Structure and properties of polymers: study of correlations between the molecular structure and the properties of polymers in the solid phase taking into account the processing of materials and their functional properties in the widest spectrum of applications
Upon completion of the study program, graduates will find careers as research team members in both theoretical and applied research areas, or as experts in the teams of industrial development centers and major research institutions. Due to the profound knowledge in the subject, they will also succeed in a broader context as lecturers in international institutions.
Škoda Auto PhD Programme
PhD candidates at the TUL are eligible to apply for participation in the Škoda Auto PhD programme or they can write their thesis on a topic offered by the company.
Applicants interested in applying to the PhD program should meet the following requirements:
- Recognized tertiary education (Master degree) as prescribed by Act No. 49/2009, Coll. (not necessary for applicants from Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Germany and Slovenia)
- Entrance examination/Interview
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Contact the school for more information and pricing details.
About this institute
Become a part of a global university!
The Technical University of Liberec (TUL) is located in the north of the Czech Republic, just 100 km from Prague and 300 km from Berlin. Students will benefit from the convenient location, allowing for cross-border projects with German and Polish institutes...
Want to know more about PhD in Material Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.