About this program
Technology, Sustainable Urban Development
Urbanization is one of the biggest trends in the globalized world. It is estimated that 2/3 of humans will be living in urban areas by the year 2050. This transformation needs to be met with sustainable solutions that take into account not only climate change but also social justice among many other criteria.
Bachelor’s Degree program in Sustainable Urban Development offers you a way to develop multidisciplinary expertise related to urban development and sustainability. This multidisciplinary program consists of three fields of study: administrative sciences, social sciences and technology. The program includes basic and intermediate studies in each of the fields. Knowledge of these fields will help you understand the complex phenomena related to sustainable urban development from several perspectives. In addition to the studies that are common for all students, the program includes specializations studies, which develop the theoretical basis of the selected study field and for creating a professional profile.
In addition to multidisciplinarity, a unique aspect of this program is the style of learning. Each year the students are engaged in real-life urban development projects. These projects are carried out in collaboration with companies and public organizations such as the City of Tampere. For example, we utilize a real-world laboratory, Hiedanranta, which is a future city district and a testbed for innovative projects related to smart and sustainable housing, energy, transportation and business.
Students of this multidisciplinary program select their own study field (administrative sciences, social sciences or technology) already when applying for the program. Although most of the contents of the program is common for all students, there are variations in the application criteria, study contents and the name of the degree granted after completing the program.
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
Eligible applicants hold an upper secondary education certificate:
- Finnish matriculation examination
- International Baccalaureate degree (IB)
- European Baccalaureate degree (EB)
- Deutsches Internationales Abitur degree (DIA) or Reifeprüfung degree (RP) in Finland
- A Finnish vocational upper secondary qualification, further vocational qualification or specialist vocational qualification as set in the Vocational Education Act (531/2017)
- any other comparable upper secondary educational qualification which provides eligibility for equivalent University-level Bachelor’s studies in the country in question.
- Or has a right to study towards a university degree in Finland, or holds a degree conferred by a Finnish higher education institution or at least a Bachelor level degree conferred by a foreign institution, Advanced International Certificate of Education degree (AICE) or persons who have previously received an exemption (erivapauspäätös) from Tampere University’s vice president for education (2019) or director of student services (before 2019).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The scope the program is 180 ECTS. It consists of the following elements:
- General Studies 35 ECTS; such as economics, information technology, language and communication studies and introduction to sustainable urban development
- Basic Studies 50 ECTS; such as research methods, mathematics, physics, chemistry
- Intermediate Studies in sustainable urban development 70 ECTS: such as economic renewal of cities and regions, politics and participation, organizational change, transport systems, water management and the Bachelor’s Thesis
- Free Choice Studies 25 ECTS; to continue to the Master’s Degree in the field of technology a technical study module is chosen and in addition, you can select freely from the offerings of the Tampere University community.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 10000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Bachelor of Science (Tech) and Master of Science (Tech)
Extent of studies
180 +120 ECTS
After completing the Bachelor’s program in Sustainable Urban Development graduates will:
- understand the various aspects of built environment, sustainable urban development and their societal significance
- know the key concepts and terminology and be able to follow the developments in the field of urban development
- recognize the central actors, questions, conflicts and solutions connected to sustainable urban development
- be able to carry out development projects individually and in teams related to sustainable urban development
- understand the basic principles of academic research and be able to independently design, conduct and report academic research projects.
The Bachelor’s Degree confers eligibility to apply for admission to master’s degree studies.
The Master’s Degree confers eligibility to apply for admission to doctoral degree studies
Graduates of the Bachelor’s programs will obtain strong multidisciplinary skills and they will be well experienced to work in a multicultural environment. The programs prepares the graduates to be professionals in matters related to the sustainable urban development, area that is growing and in demand.
Message the school
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Technology, Sustainable Urban Development? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Melbourne (Australia), Australia