Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Teaching, Learning and Media Education
This program is based on an in-depth expertise gained in Finland and a substantial research-based perspective, which will allow the students to develop both individual and collegial knowledge about the school community.
This Master's program focuses on research on teaching and learning, inclusive education, curriculum studies, as well as leadership in educational organisations, and evaluation and quality in education. To enrich the studies, this program also offers the possibility for students to choose from a variety of optional courses offered by the Faculty of Education and Culture as well as other faculties at Tampere University.
The graduates of this program will have acquired an extensive understanding of the relationships between learning, teaching and curriculum, and tools for building effective learning environments. They are able to practise as expert teachers, mentors or organisers of learning who have the abilities to develop innovative educational practices and curricula. As high-quality trained professionals, graduates will also be able to work as educational consultants in various institutional contexts locally, nationally and globally. Welcome to take the opportunity for an inspiring adventure!
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master’s degree program in Teacher Education you must have:
- a university level Bachelor's degree in Education or teaching which includes teaching practice, OR
- a university level Bachelor's degree in any other field accompanied by a formal teaching qualification (certified teacher) in the country where the Bachelor's degree certificate was issued, OR
- in case you lack a formal teaching qualification: one year of full-time teaching experience, and an additional special course during your studies in the program at Tampere University.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Teacher Education, General Studies
- Introduction to Education in Finland
- Orientation Course
- Study Skills and Personal Study Planning
- Scientific Writing
- Basic course in Finnish 1
Teacher Education, Advanced Studies
Research Method and Master's Thesis Studies
- Qualitative Method
- Quantitative Method
- Master's thesis and seminar
- Quality and evaluation in education
- Advanced Theme of Educational Sciences: Teaching, Learning and Curriculum Research
- Inclusive school
- An in-depth research process in educational sciences
- Advanced project
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 10000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Arts (Education) degree (120 ECTS).
Teachers and experts who have completed the Master’s Degree program in Teaching, Learning and Media Education will
- have an extensive understanding of societal and global conditions for learning and education
- be thoroughly aware of their importance as educators, i.e. as individuals with pedagogical power and influence in society
- be capable of making well-grounded ethical choices in their professional roles
- be capable of presenting valid arguments in the debate on education and educational policy and defending educational values
- be able to develop their work on the basis of research in multicultural environments.
Postgraduate study opportunities
The degree also qualifies you to continue your studies at the doctoral level, for example in TUNI’s Doctoral program in Education and Society.
The program gives competencies to develop curricula, learning environments, instruction and schools. Its focus is on the development of well-being of the school community, quality of learning, and research-based teaching. It gives insight and competencies to utilise the best elements of the Finnish education system in various cultural contexts.
Graduates are also able to work as mentors, and organisers and developers of learning. They have the qualifications to develop innovative educational practices, curricula, and schools, and build better opportunities for children and youth.
The program is designed for qualified teachers who wish to expand their professional expertise. It does not lead to a teaching qualification in any country.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Teaching, Learning and Media Education? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...