About this program
Sustainable Business Management, Leadership for Change
By interacting with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders, students will learn to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society.
The program prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes. The business specialisation provides students with an in-depth understanding of leading and managing change in contemporary business environments.
Students explore how societal and technological changes redefine the boundaries of and possibilities for sustainable business value creation and innovations. The focus is on understanding the challenges and opportunities business organisations face when creating innovative and sustainable solutions for future businesses. Students learn to analyse and develop business concepts which will benefit stakeholders and society at large.
The studies consists of cross-disciplinary joint program studies (30 ECTS), specialisation-specific advanced studies (25 ECTS), elective studies (25 ECTS) and the master’s thesis (40 ECTS).
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a master’s program at Tampere University, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- an applicable bachelor’s degree at a university or a university of applied sciences in Finland
- a bachelor's degree completed in a university outside Finland which provides eligibility for equivalent University master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
- with a minimum scope of 180 ECTS credits, three to four years of full-time study
- from a relevant field for the master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from a recognised institution of higher education
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master's degree program in Leadership for Change (LFC), you must have:
- a completed university level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of Administrative Sciences, Business Administration or Political Science/International Relations (according to your desired specialisation(s) within LFC) or other relevant field.
- Specialisation in Governance for Sustainable Change: field of Administrative Sciences or other relevant field
- Specialisation in European and Global Politics: field of Political Science/International Relations or other relevant field
- Specialisation in Sustainable Business Management: field of Business Administration or other relevant field
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
1) Governance for Sustainable Change
This specialisation in administrative sciences provides students with sound academic skills for anticipating, analysing and responding to the complex, dynamic challenges facing contemporary public sector organisations and institutions. Key topics covered by the specialisation include governance in the context of public sector reforms, changing modes of public service delivery, and evidence-based policy making. A cross-cutting theme of the specialisation is the role of public governance in fostering socially, ecologically and economically sustainable societies.
The specialisation considers governance challenges at local, regional, national and international levels and offers students the opportunity to specialise in issues best responding to their particular interests. The teaching faculty comprise distinguished experts in the fields of public administration and management as well as environmental and regional policy.
Students graduating from this specialisation will be awarded a Master of Administrative Sciences degree.
2) European and Global Politics
The specialisation in politics gives students a solid academic basis to understand the interaction of political processes at local, national, regional, international and global levels. The focus is on analysing and leading change with regard to political participation and decision-making, dynamics of integration and disintegration, international security issues as well as questions of political economy and governance.
Students of the politics specialisation have the opportunity to specialise in these questions in the context of EU and European politics, EU-Russian relations as well as the political dynamics of Northern Europe and Wider Europe. The teaching staff of the politics specialisation comprises several internationally esteemed experts in the field of European and Russian politics.
Students graduating from this specialisation will be awarded a Master of Social Sciences degree.
3) Sustainable Business Management
The specialisation in business provides students with an in-depth understanding of managing change in the contemporary business landscape. Students will explore how societal and technological changes redefine the boundaries of and possibilities for the sustainable renewal of business value creation and innovations. Focus will be placed on understanding the challenges and opportunities business organisations face when trying to create sustainable solutions for future businesses. Students will learn to develop current and to create future business concepts in a sustainable way for the benefit of customers, employees and owners as well as other stakeholders and society at large.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Master of Science (Economics and Business Administration)
Extent of studies
After completing the Master’s program in Leadership for Change you will have:
- an advanced understanding of the role of leadership in solving contemporary challenges at local, national, regional and global levels
- learned to examine global trends such as digitalisation, urbanisation, climate change, aging, polarisation, democratisation and integration from a multidisciplinary perspective
- the skills to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society, learned in interaction with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders
- the theoretical and methodological skills needed to formulate relevant research problems and to undertake independent scientific work
- the skills to analyse and debate the challenges that leadership faces today and to communicate your views to multiple audiences using different channels of communication.
Postgraduate study opportunities
The program gives eligibility for postgraduate studies in administrative sciences, social sciences (international relations, political science) and business studies, for example in the doctoral programs offered by Tampere University.
The program prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes, which unfold at local, national, international and global levels. Students learn to carry out academic research on these phenomena and acquire skills required for a potential academic career.
Message the school
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Sustainable Business Management, Leadership for Change? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...