Leadership for Change – European and Global Politics
By interacting with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders, students will learn to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society. The program prepares the graduates to work in the private, public or third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes.
The specialisation in European and global politics gives students a solid academic basis to understand political processes at local, national, regional, international and global levels. The focus is on analysing and leading change with regard to political participation and decision-making, dynamics of integration and disintegration, international security issues as well as questions of political economy and governance.
The studies consist of cross-disciplinary joint program studies (30 ECTS), specialisation-specific advanced studies (25 ECTS), elective studies (25 ECTS) and the master’s thesis (40 ECTS).
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master’s degree program in Leadership for Change (LFC), you must have:
- a completed university level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of Administrative Sciences, Business Administration or Political Science/International Relations (according to your desired specialisation(s) within LFC) or other relevant field.
- Specialisation in Governance for Sustainable Change: field of Administrative Sciences or other relevant field
- Specialisation in European and Global Politics: field of Political Science/International Relations or other relevant field
- Specialisation in Sustainable Business Management: field of Business Administration or other relevant field
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
LFC- General Studies
- Writing Clinic
- Advanced Introduction to Research Methods
LFC- Advanced Studies, European and Global Politics
Introduction to Leadership for Change
- Introduction to Leadership for Change
- Current Trends in Leadership and Change
Social and Organisational Theory
- Research on Society and Organisations
- Organisation Theory and Analysis
Doing Research on Current Change Challenges
- Case Study: Examining Leadership Challenges
- Master's Seminar and Thesis
- Political Institutions and Leadership
- European Integration and Disintegration
- Changing World Politics
- Cross-Border International Relations
- Theory and Practice of International Relations
- International Politics of Finnish-Russian Relations
- Cooperation and Conflict in EU-Russia Relations
- Foreign Policy Analysis Colloquium
- Research Seminars
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Social Sciences degree (120 ECTS).
After completing the Master’s Degree program in Leadership for Change you will have:
- an advanced understanding of the role of leadership in solving contemporary challenges at local, national, regional and global levels
- learned to examine global trends such as digitization, urbanization, climate change, aging, polarization, democratization and integration from a multidisciplinary perspective
- the skills to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society, learned in interaction with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders
- the theoretical and methodological skills to formulate relevant research problems and to undertake independent scientific work
- the skills to analyse and debate the challenges that leadership faces today and to communicate your views to multiple audiences using different channels of communication.
Postgraduate study opportunities
The program gives eligibility for postgraduate studies in Administrative Sciences, Social Sciences (International Relations, Political Science) and Business Studies, for example in TUNI’s Doctoral program of Faculty of Management.
The program prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes, which unfold at local, national, international and global levels. Students learn to carry out academic research on these phenomena, and acquire skills required for a potential academic career.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Leadership for Change – European and Global Politics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...