Information Technology – Information Security
Security and privacy are fundamental concepts in the digital age. Real world implications and applications are everywhere around us: the browser you use to shop over the Internet, the mobile phone you hold conversations over, the bank card in your wallet, the way you travel, the car keys in your pocket, to casting electronic votes.
Master's Degree program in Information Security offers both breadth and depth in education to students, providing them with diverse career opportunities. Preliminary courses provide essential security and privacy skills, and subsequent courses allow students to specialize in specific security and privacy domains. The demand for security professionals has never been higher, and is growing at an astounding pace!
Our Information Security research spans from theoretical to applied aspects of security and privacy, and everywhere in between. Our research appears in globally top ranked venues such as IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, and USENIX Security Symposium, to name a few – major recruiting outlets for both industry and academia. Our research projects are financed ranging from Business Finland, Academy of Finland, Horizon 2020, to the European Research Council.
Students completing our program have wealth of career options, ranging from industry security professionals to continuing on the research path in our doctoral program, driven by our research-based teaching methods.
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
The previous degree should be from a field closely related to the Master's program you are applying to. In the Master’s program in Information Technology the previous degree has to be in one of the following (or highly related) fields:
- computing, information technology, computer science, electrical engineering, software engineering or other applicable field with proficiency in mathematics, physics and elementary programming skills
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
All students will take the core courses designed to give a comprehensive introduction into this specialist field by covering the fundamentals of information security and privacy – especially why the latter is so difficult to achieve in practice. Subsequently, students will have the opportunity to take several courses related to cryptography, network security, software security, access and identity management. During these courses, students will not only learn how to protect a system from certain attacks but also how to find new ones – analyze the security of a system. Hence, by the end of the program, students will learn to think in both rational and irrational ways – a fundamental property in the area of information security.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Science (Technology) degree (120 ECTS).
Students following this program will gain an understanding of the nature of the security and privacy threats that face computer systems. In addition to that, they will examine various aspects of security in widely deployed communication networks, including both theoretical and practical areas. Furthermore, an introduction to cryptography and its application will be offered. At the end of the program students will be able to understand why cryptography is not the solution to all of our security problems. Moreover, students will be able to carry out security and risk assessments using attacks and techniques seen in the field. Overall, students will be exposed to a multitude of exciting open problems in the field and will be given the opportunity to work on both theoretical and practical projects related to security. Finally, students will benefit from a broad and varied array of state-of-the-art technologies.
Information security professionals work in every size company and industry to protect organizations from data breaches and attacks. By studying our program, students get the necessary skills allowing them to follow a wide range of career paths such as:
- Researcher in Applied Cryptography;
- Researcher in Network / Computer Security;
- IT Security Engineer / Operations Specialist;
- Product Security Engineer;
- Penetration Tester / White Hat Hacker / Ethical Hacker;
- Source Code Auditor;
- Vulnerability Assessor;
- Computer Security Incident Responder;
- Information Security Analyst / Consultant / Assurance Officer / Assurance Analyst / Risk Officer;
- Cyber Security Manager;
- Security Officer;
- Computer Forensics Analyst;
- Anti-Piracy / Content Protection Analyst.
Our staff is a key contact point for companies of all sizes – from startups to industry giants, both domestic and international – for critical staffing needs in the area of security. The need for formally educated security engineers is tremendous and still growing!
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Information Technology – Information Security? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America