About this program
Human-Technology Interaction, Computing Sciences (MS Tech)
Digital technologies play a significant role in all areas of life. Modern societies need professionals with thorough understanding of how to design and develop user-friendly, innovative and sustainable products and services and engaging ways to interact with various technological devices.
Master’s degree studies in Human-Technology Interaction (HTI) offer a broad set of studies in human-computer interaction, digital systems and related fields. In the HTI studies, you will get up-to-date know how on digital service design, user experience evaluation, user psychology, human-centered software development, usability engineering, multimodal human-computer interaction and research skills.
From technological viewpoint, the studies cover the design and development of user interfaces for mobile and desktop applications, virtual reality, augmented reality, industrial machinery and human-robot interaction. HTI is a multi-disciplinary field and you will work with the professionals from several areas with different perspectives.
In a broader sense, you will learn how technology affects people’s lives and how to design efficient, engaging and ethical digital products and services. The degree leads you to hands-on work in various course projects, as well as provides basics for scientific thinking and writing.
Human-Technology Interaction (M.Sc.) and Human-Technology Interaction (M.Sc. Tech) tracks are two of the seven degree programs in the Master’s degree program in Computing Sciences.
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a master’s program at Tampere University, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- an applicable bachelor’s degree at a university or a university of applied sciences in Finland
- a bachelor's degree completed in a university outside Finland which provides eligibility for equivalent University master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
- with a minimum scope of 180 ECTS credits, three to four years of full-time study
- from a relevant field for the master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from a recognised institution of higher education
Program-specific eligibility criteria
The previous degree should be from a field closely related to the Master's program you are applying to. In the Master’s program in Computing Sciences, Human-Technology Interaction (MSc tech) track, the previous degree has to be in one of the following (or highly related) fields:
- Computing, information technology, computer science, electrical engineering, software engineering or other applicable field with proficiency in mathematics, physics and elementary programming skills.
For more information about admission requirement, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Technology plays an increasing role in our daily lives, and it is important to have professionals who have deep understanding of how to develop efficient and enjoyable ways to interact with a wide variety of technological devices.
You can deepen your knowledge in course units that cover a wide range of topics from user experience, emotions and sociality to innovative use of touch, speech, gaze and human physiology in user interfaces. Through work in various course projects, the program provides you with competences in scientific thinking and writing, as well as in hands-on design.
HTI master’s studies have a direct link to HTI research carried out at the Tampere University. Research groups related to HTI at Tampere University explore and develop more intuitive user interfaces for the future. The aim is to match the design of new technologies with human abilities and needs - targeting at the best possible user experience with technology.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Master of Science (Technology)
Extent of studies
Applicants can apply to Computing Sciences, Human-Technology Interaction Master of Science (HTI MSc) or Computing Sciences, Human-Technology Interaction Master of Science (Technology) (HTI MSc Tech) specialisation. Please check carefully the eligibility criteria of the specialisation you are interested in. Regardless of the specialisation, the studies are largely similar between the specialisations.
We offer three key orientations that can help you to plan your studies: (1) DESIGNER of user interfaces, digital services, and user experiences; (2) BUILDER of front-end software solutions, prototypes, and interactions; (3) RESEARCHER of technology use, emerging technologies, and information systems. These orientations represent different ways of thinking and career paths, and you are free to mix and match these as you wish, as well as combine with complementary studies in other fields of science in order to build your unique competence profile.
After completing the studies – regardless of the orientation that you followed – you will master the main theories and practices related to user experience of interactive products and services. You are able to account for the user needs and characteristics in human-technology interaction. The studies offer skills to design, prototype, implement and evaluate interactive systems according to human-centered design principles and processes. Graduates are also able to apply different user interface styles and interaction techniques to different application domains, including mobile computing and novel computing paradigms such as Virtual Reality and interactive robots. Graduates have basic research skills in HTI and are eligible to apply to doctoral studies.
Following the successful completion of the program, HTI graduates are eligible to apply for entrance to doctoral programs in Finland and abroad.
There are many job opportunities to choose from after graduation. The career prospects are excellent, and human-technology interaction specialists are highly appreciated by industry.
Some of the possible future careers include, for example:
- Designer who envisions, shapes and creates sustainable design solutions for user interfaces and information systems in general – typical job titles include service designer, UX designer, interaction designer and UI designer
- User researcher who studies people and their use of technology in various environments and contexts of use, informing the design and development of new technological solutions as well as academic research in the field of human-computer interaction
- User interface developer who has the skills to implement advanced front-end software solutions
- Usability and user experience specialist who makes sure that the designs are easy to use and fit human purposes and requirements
- Product manager with emphasis on user needs and user experience.
Message the school
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Human-Technology Interaction, Computing Sciences (MS Tech)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!