About this program
Expanding from entertainment to other areas of life, games have grown into a form of culture and human interaction that is a crucial part of our social life and current media landscape.
The program is particularly targeted at the questions of analysis, design and application of games from the interconnected perspectives of games, game players, game developers and game cultures. It will give you the academic skills needed to analyse, observe and understand the developments in this field of study while also encouraging a more pragmatic involvement and hands-on attitude with games and playful design.
Graduates typically combine the skills and knowledge derived from this program with previous studies and proficiencies that enable them to work in various professional roles, in research, public sector as well as in industry. The possible jobs of graduates include researchers, developers, critics and specialists working with the interpretation, evaluation and implementation of games and related fields, such as social media.
The program is founded on the long history of education and research conducted at the University of Tampere’s Game Research Lab. At Tampere University, this internationally acclaimed research group coordinates the Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies funded by the Academy of Finland in 2018-2025.
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a master’s programme at Tampere University, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- an applicable bachelor’s degree at a university or a university of applied sciences in Finland
- a bachelor's degree completed in a university outside Finland which provides eligibility for equivalent University master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
- with a minimum scope of 180 ECTS credits, three to four years of full-time study
- from a relevant field for the master’s degree programme that you’re applying to
- from a recognised institution of higher education
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master's degree program in Game Studies, you must have a completed, suitable university-level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in
- Game Studies, Interactive Media, Information Studies, Communication, Cultural or Art Studies, Interaction Design, Psychology, Sociology, or other relevant field for the study of play and games.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
This Master's Programme provides an in-depth view to the fundamental character and development of games and play. Expanding from entertainment to other areas of life, games have grown into a form of culture and human interaction that is a crucial part of our social life and current media landscape.
The programme is particularly targeted at the questions of analysis, design and application of games from the interconnected perspectives of games, game players, game developers and game cultures. It will give you the academic skills needed to analyze, observe and understand the developments in this field of study while also encouraging a more pragmatic involvement and hands-on attitude with games and playful design.
The programme is founded on long history of education and research conducted at Tampere University Game Research Lab. In 2018-2025, this internationally acclaimed research group coordinates a Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies funded by the Academy of Finland.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Master of Social Sciences
Extent of studies
After completing the Master's Degree you are expected to:
- be familiar with scientific thinking and capable of applying scientific working methods in your own area of specialization
- be motivated for lifelong learning
- be capable of undertaking scientific postgraduate studies
- be capable of applying the knowledge acquired and of functioning in internationalizing working life
After completing the Master’s Programme in Game Studies you will:
- be able to identify, define and analyse games and play in their various forms
- understand and be capable of critically using the concepts and theories that relate to the fundamental character of games and the phenomena around them
- have in-depth understanding about the forms, practices and contexts of games as cultural, social, technical and commercial phenomena
- be able to independently acquire scientific knowledge
- be able to communicate the results from research to different audiences
- be able to work in interdisciplinary teams as an expert of games and related phenomena (including e.g. online cultures, game production, gamification)
Postgraduate study opportunities
This master's degree provides the required background if you wish to pursue doctoral studies in game studies and related fields, for example in Tuni’s Doctoral program in Information Studies and Interactive Media.
Graduates typically combine the skills and knowledge derived from this program with previous studies and proficiencies that enable them to work various professional roles, in research, public sector as well as in industry. The need for knowledgeable workforce is growing in the fields related to games and interactive media, but the students should adopt an active attitude in fashioning their own specific area of expertise and professional profile.
As a graduate you can take up multiple work roles that relate to the research and development of games as well as to the application of game play and game design for various purposes. Working as a university educated expert in this rapidly developing field requires solid research and communication skills combined with an active and independent mindset, and willingness to explore and innovate new approaches to understanding and applying interactive media into practice.
The possible jobs of graduates include researchers, developers, critics and specialists working with the interpretation, evaluation and implementation of games and related fields like social media and gamification.
Message the school
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Game Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Carson, United States of America
Chicago, United States of America